Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Was this that bad a play?

Early in $30 PP NL Multi (1,000+ entrants).

I have T1040, all relevant players with about T1000 - T1200 in chips at this point. Blinds are 10-20.

I am dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]on the button.

3 limpers to me, I limp, SB completes and BB checks. Pot: T120

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets T150. BB folds, 2 limpers call. Pot: T570

I have an open-ended straight and flush draw...15 outs and 2 overcards (overcards probably not relevant as outs).

I push all-in (T1020), expecting perhaps the bettor to call (his initial bet says he may have even flopped a straight), and hope to get at least headsup with him so my flush draw is good if it hits.

SB calls all-in (he has me covered), the rest fold.

Turn and river are blanks and I am out fast when the SB turns over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for trips.

Comments and criticism please.

I am still a NL Dummy (just ordered PL & NL Poker Reuben/Ciaffone) and have not entered the NL cash games yet as I want a secure knowledge footing before I venture there. I still find the $30 multis to be a good experience and make the money (avg ~$200 when I make the money) about 1/8 tries so it isn't costing much for the experience, mostly time.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Let me re-phrase this...what would you do and why? N/M

Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Was this that bad a play?

That's a tough situation. You are about a 3:2 underdog on that flop. If he'd had, say A9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] you would have been ahead, and against top two it's roughly a coinflip.

You have to give SB credit for a hand here, since he is betting out into multiple limpers, so you'd have to know you are behind and expect an all-in to be called. Given all the callers, I don't think calling the 150 to try to make your hand is a bad idea. If you do make either of your draws, you figure to be able to get someone to pay you off.

Unfortunately, if you miss, I think you have to fold to a reasonable bet on the turn. I don't particularly like that answer, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a better one in this situation...
Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 PM

I think I would just call the bet, you have fairly good odds to hit one of your cards. I wouldn't push here though, why risk your stack this early in the tourney on a draw. The initial raiser is more than likely going to call what ever you do, especially with trips, especially since you limped preflop. I would put you on a draw in that situation, either the flush or the straight, however I wouldn't put you on having either( obviously not the flush) and the reason why is..... why would you push with a made hand, some could argue this is acceptable with a flopped straight on a flush board, but if you hit your hand, why would you want to drive callers out.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:28 AM

Thanks much for the replies.

With the 2 callers in between myself and the SB who had just bet T150 into the T120 pot, I felt that one of them must have had a flush draw likely higher than a J (or possibly even a straight draw as well). They were calling a 7.5xBB bet.

I thought that if i was going to draw, I wanted to ensure that my draw, if I hit it, was good by hoping to eliminate a possibly higher flush draw. With 15 outs I am 3:2 to make my hand correct?

What do you do if you hit your J high flush draw on the turn and someone bets into you?

I'm probably still missing something here.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:23 AM

I thought that if i was going to draw, I wanted to ensure that my draw, if I hit it, was good by hoping to eliminate a possibly higher flush draw. With 15 outs I am 3:2 to make my hand correct?
the odds are about right. I don't think you need to worry about a higher flush. someone could have A, K, Q of diamonds but probably not two diamonds in there hand, I say this based upon their preflop play. Although UTG could possibly have something like AQd. What kind of player was UTG, if he was a loose player he could play lots of hands there. I wouldn't be worried about the BB with a flush draw. with his bet I would probably think he had two pair, possibly trips.

I would be hoping for the straight if I were you, but if you hit your flush, proceed cautiously, you could have the best hand, but you could also have the second best hand. This would again be based on your player reads.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:47 PM

I think you played it fine. Pot is big when it gets to you. You have a monster draw and your bet may well push him off some hands you are behind now.

Ken Poklitar