Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: switch to no limit

in other words if you want comparable $40-$60 earn rates you gonna have to play multi-tables of beatable games assuming you play very well..my experience is the easiest games are $50 and $100.Full NL games get out ~20% fewer hands per hour than full limit games.With the slow pace it easy to play 4-5 tables if you are accustomed to 3 limit tables..as long as your opponents arent too tricky..
Old 02-12-2004, 01:20 PM

right i am finding the 100 tables to be pretty soft. i mean i could be running well but it's not all to do with my cards.. the players seem very weak. i am not necessarily a NL newbie as i have always played sng's recreationally and have experience with live and online mutli table NL tourneys.. but my game could use some work clearly, and that is what i'm trying to do right now.

thanks for all advice
Old 02-12-2004, 01:46 PM

what you'll most like about it is that the swings are way less and you don't need a significant bankroll for these games. Helps when tuition and dorms cuts 4k into you bankroll at the beginning of each semester
Old 02-12-2004, 02:54 PM

I've been playing a few of the 100 tables lately and found the same thing. I think the 25 tables are *extremely* profitable however, in my best week I made 1.5k! very few big downswings, also.

in my experience NL is a much less frustrating game than limit, in that your opponents will pay very dearly to draw out on you. the only problem is that this tends to break weak players quickly, and as a result I think there are probably less fish than in the limit games, except for maybe at the 25 tables.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-19-2004, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what you'll most like about it is that the swings are way less and you don't need a significant bankroll for these games. Helps when tuition and dorms cuts 4k into you bankroll at the beginning of each semester

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,

I would have thought NL would have larger swings and require a bigger bankroll. What kind of things contribute to the lower variance in NL? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hello,

I would have thought NL would have larger swings and require a bigger bankroll. What kind of things contribute to the lower variance in NL? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

In No Limit if you are better than your opponents they will rarely be in profitale situations against you when you have a lot of money involved- in Limit your opponents are getting much larger odds to draw against you and your edge is reduced significantly. In limit, the schooling factor can make your variance huge. In no limit, if people are schoolig against your AA for huge pre-flop raises then you are in a HIGHLY proftibale situation and should be sure to play as long as the game goes. In no limit your swings are defined by a few hands where you are usually two to three handed and getting huge amounts of money in the pot. If you are better than your opponents, you will often be in highly profitable situatons with only one or two players to beat.

Of course, for no limit to have small swings you have to play at a certain level and have a style that minimizes swings. It is certainly possible to have a large variance if you play very loose and very agressive, or you can't let go of hands when you are beat.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:05 PM

Dont know if anyone said it, didnt read the whole post (sry), but in limit you will have multiple player that have the right odds to call/bet, this is not as often the case in nl (if you bet that is), so therefore you will have a smaller variance.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: smaller variance

NL returns depend more on your play and less on your cards than limit games. Consequently you are less subject to card fluctuation based variance.

Check the guys post today that rammed at an all [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K high flop when he had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

By sensing some weakness and hammering the pot he got a return he wouldn't have received in limit poker. - CH
Old 02-19-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: smaller variance

limit has too many draws that do get odds and if not the correct odds it is awfully close so everyone calls. If you bet the pot or larger guys with flush or open enders will rarely get the 2 to 1 they need to draw to. And if they do they are calling then you don't mind that call. Usually when large money goes in you're against 1 opponent and that in itself makes for less variance. A lot depends on how you play though but I think all seasoned NL players will agree that NL does make for lower swings at the 500 or less buyin level. If you are experiencing too many swings in NL you're most likely playing hands like J10s, KQ, AJ too much.