Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Am I even close?

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 9
Bet

I am surprised that so many people would bet here. I would check-fold and I thought it was a very easy decision.

Anyone else want to comment on this hand?

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

People limp with a random assortment of junk all the time in a SH table, even more so than full table. Bet top pair, almost always, in a SH table until you meet resistance (unless it's strategically better to c/r and limit the field... but that isn't the case here, since big clubs are still calling two...). Top pair with good kicker, three bet in most cases (board dependent and player dependent... IE obviously don't three bet if you notice an obvious rock... normally not the case though).

Anyway, look at it this way. 4SB in the pot, you're wagering one. Your bet might take it down right away. Or, you might get multiple stragglers that call with a club. They'll hit a flush roughly 35% of the time. Nice overlay from that. And if the board was a rainbow, you'd still bet because you have top pair, against one blind and two limpers. Key word, limpers. They didn't raise preflop. The chances someone also has top pair is lower than the 4:1 the pot is laying your bet, IMO.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:13 PM

Hand9
What is your exact reasoning? Is it because of the early position limps, the clubs on the boards? Bad kicker. Can't I have atleast 1 high club, thats got to be in their mind as well.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:08 AM

I think if you bet on hand 9, you're looking to fold to any raise. I think the reason to bet this flop is because it is a scary one, and one we can throw it away to a raise easily. But if they call us down, we have something decent to show (top pair).

Check/folding, can work. I don't know, I think check/calling might be better. If we do that, we should betting out the next card no matter what. If it's a club, we have a nice bluff, if it's a non-club, we have a value bet.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Let up or keep pressing

1 is tough, most people say bet I'm sure, but it's probably real fricken close. Getting raised will suck bad. You could bet.

2. Fold. no draw on board. he may be making a (good) play with A7, but you're out of position and it will be expensive.

3. raise, period.

4. bet

5. many hands he called with on the flop now have a piece that won't fold. you now have a draw to the nuts and don't want to be raised. check behind.

6. If you will call then a bet is much better. bet.

7. toss up between betting and calling w/no overcall.

8. fold, you're so toast, unless it's a flush draw where he still has lots of outs on you.

9. bet

10. no fold option? I don't see what raising accomplishes. Call? Why no r
Old 02-18-2004, 11:53 AM

You and Vehn are actually different people, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 10: Raise PF, this should be automatic on the button of a SH table.

[/ QUOTE ]

QJs is unlikely to win unimproved, even SH, so your choices are to try to thin the field so you can win if Q or J hits, or keep people in for a big payoff if the straight or flush hits. With two limpers in already, wouldn't you go for plan B and limp?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:20 PM

hand 1:

I check the river. However unlikely it is that the A helped him I'll take the pot as it is thank you very much. My hand would not like a C/R here.

Hand 2

I reraise and hopefully he is on his draw. If he's smart and on a draw he hits it again. Capped to the turn and no heart hits I bet, if raised I'm probably screwed but I would make myself call this down if no heart hit.

hand 3:

I don't play k10o utg and this is one of the reasons. If you are going to play it you almost have to raise. It's raise or fold and I would lean heavily towards folding.

hand 4

I just call with the 8's and limpers on the button. Checked to me I bet, turn I check it through. Nothing changes I check/fold the river.

hand 5

I bet the entire way down. This is where your tight image comes in to play.

Hand 6

River bet out fold to a raise but you're pretty much screwed.

Hand 7

I tend not to limp with a hand like 77 utg. I either fold or raise leaning more towards folding. I think a lot of players play too loose UTG and EP and it's a major leak.

hand 8

Smells like sb caught a set, maybe 2pr. I call...and go in to a weak check call mode for one bet on each street. See his set and kick myself for not betting out. I would have bet out at this flop. I avoid getting too tricky with top pair mediocre kicker. I bet out and may fold to a C/R player dependant.

hand 9

Bet out and player dependant call a raise.

hand 10

Raise the flop.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QJs is unlikely to win unimproved, even SH, so your choices are to try to thin the field so you can win if Q or J hits, or keep people in for a big payoff if the straight or flush hits. With two limpers in already, wouldn't you go for plan B and limp?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an easy raise for value, and position. These limpers are unlikely to be holding anything better than two random hands. Even if we give the tight player a decent hand (it can't be that great---our raising standards are low at a 5 handed table), we'd still be winning more than our fair share. Try a few twodimes.net simulations and see for yourself. If the % of the time QJs wins is over 33% you're making money just by raising. Not to mention we have position over the limpers and are looking to buy the button.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:52 PM

Agreed, that's an easy raise. I'm just a wuss.