Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Good laydown or weak-tight

3- handed pot limit hold-em, player to my right is a fish, and is probably the only reason I, or the player to my left are bothering to play. He has around $65, I have around $150, and tricky good player to my left has around $200. We're playinc .25-.25 blinds. Good player limps from the button, fish checks, I look down to see AcKc. I bet pot (.75), and both call. Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I bet pot ($3.00) and both call. Turn comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], fish checks, I bet $10 into the $12 pot, and button raises that bet $30. Fish hems and haws, and finally mucks. Button would do this with his big hands and occasionally bluff/semi-bluff if he senses weakness. I decided to lay down, because I can't really call a $90 pot bet on the river, and he has position, and will bet it if he thinks he can get me to fold.

Am I too weak, I sort of felt I was really there to eat the fish, and I didn't want to get involved in big pots with good players and have position, when i only have a pretty good hand.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Good laydown or weak-tight

Call and see a river.

It's true he really can have anything - calling preflop with 94o with his stack is probably not even a mistake (the pain of shorthanded PL) and since he'll put you on a big king with only one pair, he's right to try and take it there and then with no hand, or pull you in if he has his 2 pair.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Good laydown or weak-tight

[ QUOTE ]
3- handed pot limit hold-em, player to my right is a fish, and is probably the only reason I, or the player to my left are bothering to play. He has around $65, I have around $150, and tricky good player to my left has around $200. We're playinc .25-.25 blinds. Good player limps from the button, fish checks, I look down to see AcKc. I bet pot (.75), and both call. Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I bet pot ($3.00) and both call. Turn comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], fish checks, I bet $10 into the $12 pot, and button raises that bet $30. Fish hems and haws, and finally mucks. Button would do this with his big hands and occasionally bluff/semi-bluff if he senses weakness. I decided to lay down, because I can't really call a $90 pot bet on the river, and he has position, and will bet it if he thinks he can get me to fold.

Am I too weak, I sort of felt I was really there to eat the fish, and I didn't want to get involved in big pots with good players and have position, when i only have a pretty good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all I would have negotiated for higher blinds, or to have mde it NL. Whats the point of having stacks those sizes if they cant be used barring eight pot-sized reraises.

Button has a set. I think you made the right play..