Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Mistake with KQs?

NL hold'em tourney, down to 29 players, pays top 10. I've got T11,000 which is good for third at this table. Blinds are T150/300. I've got K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG. I don't think I have played a single hand this tourney from UTG or UTG+1, so I open raise to T900 really just hoping to pick up the blinds. Mr Chip Leader with about T17,000 on the button calls, both blinds fold.

Pot is T2250. Flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet T1000. Mr Chip Leader raises to T4000. Hmmm...

A few notes about Mr Chip Leader. I have seen him do this at least 5 times with Ax where he paired his kicker on the flop. I also know he is almost certain to reraise preflop with any pair or any A with a high kicker. So I put him on A2 or A7. I suppose he could have smooth called me with AQ, but probably not with 22 or 77 and certainly not with AA or KK.

So knowing all that, along with there being no straight or flush draws on the board, I pray that he doesn't have AQ and I push all-in.

How should I have played this?

Judging by the message title, you can probably guess that I lost the hand. But you won't believe what he had. I'll post the results a bit later.

T
Old 02-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Mistake with KQs?

I do not like K-Q utg. (Repeat several times; thinking Dr. Seuss's green eggs and ham). Even suited.

But if you're gonna play them, raising it up was solid. Top pair, decent kicker, and you trust your read and push. I have no problem with the play given the scenario.

My guess, given the tone of your post: He had 7-2s.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Default lucky flop for a bad call? fogetaboutit

Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Mistake with KQs?

I'm not a big fan of playing KQ UTG either, but I thought I had a pretty good shot at the blinds, given how tight I was playing and how tight most of the table was playing. I figured they'd run from my UTG raise unless someone had a real hand, and then I could get away fairly cheap if necessary.

But you guessed it, he had 72s. The sad thing is the guy finished only 5 spots higher than me in the tourney. I didn't watch, but I really hope he had AA cracked by 72. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

T