Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Results of First 50 SNGs

If I remember correctly, these things pay 50%/30%/20%. Is that right?

If so, here is a pointer that may help. Some may disagree, but this plan served me pretty well when I used to play one-table tourneys.

Your goals in a tournament with this payout should be

1) get in the money
2) come first.

This is because the prize for 3rd is pretty substantial (40% of the maximum prize), but the leap from 3rd to 2nd is dwarfed by the leap from 2nd to 1st.

So, once in the money, focus on winning the thing. Do not try to outlast one player to come 2nd; allow yourself more 3rd places, if need be, but try to win outright if you can.

I believe that 3rd place money is sufficiently large that survival tactics are correct on the bubble (i.e. with 4 left).

But don't take either of these points too far: don't give up on good opportunities with 4 left, and don't take rash chances when in the money.

Guy.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:43 AM

For me, the easiest are the Pot Limit sit and gos. I am over 60% in the money in PL, about 50% in NL and 50% in O8B limit (sorry i play a $30 O8B sometimes while in a $100 NL/PL HE...they are fun). Only accidentally played in Limit a couple of times...won a multi recently in limit but never a single table.

So I would suggest moving to NL...get the hang of it, and then begin to try your hand at PL.

Spoody
Old 02-13-2004, 01:49 PM

Interesting that you like the Pot Limit. I find No limit and HE the easiest by far. HE I just play basically by the book, there seems to be much less variance in my results. NL is the most profitable for me, you just stay patient and don't bleed off your stack. Then if you play your few really strong hands well you can pick up a lot of chips. Pot Limit is where I struggle. You can never bet enough to kill the draws, or win enough to make up for the patience. I probably play 65% HE 25% and PL 10%.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:24 AM

This is excellent advice. I play to get in the money 1st, then to place 2nd, but I definitely can see your way being more helpful to the ROI. In the sit and goes, most people loosen up once in the money anyway, so getting 1st or 2nd should probably occur a good bit more than third. In the bottom limits, I placed 1st and 2nd a touch over 40% of the time, with very few 3rd's, but stepping up a notch Ive been stuck with alot of 3rd place prizes, which reaks havoc on the ROI. 53% placement at the bottom limit, most at 1st and 2nd place gave me an ROI of over 56% over 70 tourneys. At one level up, Ive placed in 63% but ROI is right at 40%. Im going to start playing out of third to win it (get the money that takes it heads up) and see if I can turn this better win percentage into a high ROI.
[ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly, these things pay 50%/30%/20%. Is that right?

If so, here is a pointer that may help. Some may disagree, but this plan served me pretty well when I used to play one-table tourneys.

Your goals in a tournament with this payout should be

1) get in the money
2) come first.

This is because the prize for 3rd is pretty substantial (40% of the maximum prize), but the leap from 3rd to 2nd is dwarfed by the leap from 2nd to 1st.

So, once in the money, focus on winning the thing. Do not try to outlast one player to come 2nd; allow yourself more 3rd places, if need be, but try to win outright if you can.

I believe that 3rd place money is sufficiently large that survival tactics are correct on the bubble (i.e. with 4 left).

But don't take either of these points too far: don't give up on good opportunities with 4 left, and don't take rash chances when in the money.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-14-2004, 04:23 AM

Default When you guys say ROI what do you mean

Would a Roi of 50% be 11$ per trny for a 20+2 buy in?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:03 AM

Default Re: ROI?? help

ROI=Return on Investment

Your ROI will equal your net return divided by your investment

For example, Getting third in a Partypoker $10+1 pays $20 for a net profit of $9.
9/11=81.8% ROI

It is meaningless to talk about the ROI of single tourneys however, so you will want to add all of your net profits together and divide this sum by your total number of tourneys played. This will give you an average profit/tourney.

For example, Imagine that you played 100 $10+1 sngs and finished 1st 20 times, 2nd 10 times, 3rd 15 times.

Your total entries would equal $1100. Your total prizes would equal $1600. This would yield a net profit of $500.

$500 profit/100 tourneys = $5 net return/tourney average

Now, $5(return/tourney av.)/$11(entry fee)= 45% ROI

You could even figure an ROI for all sngs played at all limits by averaging entry fees as well, but I don't think this info would be very useful

Hope this helps

Regards,
Brad S