Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Strange heads up situation... Did my opponent misplay his hand?

Playing on the gaming club heads up 25-50 a few hours ago. My opponent is a pro, but I don't know this yet. He later told me he was maxmuller from pokerroom. (we played a lot together there and have respect for how each other plays).

The blind structure is where BB is button (not proper HU structure).

He raises preflop with QT clubs, I raise with 55, he calls.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

he checks, I bet (I'm 95% sure I have the best hand) he calls.

next card is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

he checks, I bet he calls (I know 100% I have the best hand now as he would have raised an ace here or on flop)

last card T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

he checks, I bet he calls and wins.

He knew the way I play and should have known I have pocket pair or at least king high (though I would not bet king high on turn so by then he should have put me on an ace or pocket pair). Did he have odds to call the turn?
Old 02-12-2004, 04:28 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Strange heads up situation... Did my opponent misplay his hand?

odds? it's heads up.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:12 PM

Well, if he's a decent player, he apparently didn't believe you had to have at least K high here (chasing for a Q or T is clearly wrong, as astro points out).
He also apparently didn't believe you'd call a check-raise on the river most of your possible hands.
Maybe he was having an off day or something.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 PM

If you wouldn't bet K or Q high on the turn his call is clearly wrong as he has at most 6 outs and sometimes fewer, and he needs to average about 7.5. If you would his call is clearly right since he will often have 12 outs and sometimes up to 15. I'm honestly surprised you wouldn't bet less than a full house on the turn here...?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:35 PM

hi eugene
if his call stopped you from bluffing or taking shots at him in later hands, then he had more than correct odds to call.

your weak area is that when you bet, your opponent can fold. this opponent is apparently more concerned about you remaining just like that than he is in the money he puts out to condition you to remain that way; a non-bluffer whose bets can be folded to safely. he also has a good read on when you have a slightly weaker betting hand than he has. so, when you are strong, you find that this opponent is often raising you with a stronger hand. when your hand is equal to your opponent's hand or slightly stronger, he sees the river and shows-down for pennies. so he makes more money from you when he's slightly stronger than you make from him when you're slightly stronger.

and then the big money; he is stealing with excellent frequency so that, when the steal-comes on the heels of a win by you, you dismiss it. and when you steal, he need not defend, and he does this with correct frequency as well. he knows to not defend after he has had a nice win.

his decisions have little to do with cards. he makes his decisions based on opportunistic timing of his actions. right after this hand, he raised and stole your blind. he did that because he wants you to think that you know when he has the goods and when he doesn't. in reality, it's the other way around. no one can expect to do well against this opponent. the only ev against him is the ev gained by learning from him.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:26 PM

Right I wasn't really thinking straight. He'll often have 11 outs and sometimes 13. (and occasionally a lot of splits.)