Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: K9s and AJ offsuit

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, I wonder about two plays I made yesterday in my casual 20$/40$ (live game, in case Elysium reads this post too! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]:9 : [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]: in SB four limpers and I complete.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Ok, I have TP, but this flop is obviously dangerous. Still I've got TP so I bet out to look where I am at. BB calls, and EP calls too. The other players fold.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet again, they both just call again.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, BB folds, EP calls and shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB tells me afterwards he had the nut flush. However, what do you guys about my play? Was this fine? My thinking was, that I wanted to charge everyone with a single [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for drawing to the flush. I'm aware I caught two perfect cards, but I was ready to fold to a raise. As they just called me down I still thought my hand was good. Any comments welcome.

Hand2:

I get AJoff in Cutoff. One limper to me and I raise. Button coldcalls, SB calls, BB folds, limper calls. (In addition I have to mention that these 3 players are pretty fishy, you'll see that later).

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, limper checks, I bet, Button calls, SB now checkraises, limper calls, and I threebet with TPTK. Button coldcalls and SB makes it four. Limper calls again and I fold. Button calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB leads out, limper raises, Button reraises all in. SB calls.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, limper checks.

See their their hands (colored in white, roll over):

<font color="white"> SB had JJ, limper had QQ, button K10off </font>

Any comments about my play welcomed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well DocHollyday i think you played #2 well and #1 maybe a little wrong. i have to say if that was me i would bet the flop but not the turn. i'd even kind of lean towards c-folding the flop b/c of the times people are calling you here you will be beat by hesitant two pairs, nut flushes stringing you along, and hesitant top pair/better kicker. but a bet on the flop won't be TOO expensive but its still a "consider check and fold" situation.

but a quick note on Mr. QhTh: pretty horrid play don't you think?

ELYSIUM, if you're out there reading and remember what you said about "the worst turn raise in the history of the game" well here's a candidate for "the worst flop call in the history of the game!!" if raising two players with idiot straight on turn is bad, imagine just calling with the 2nd nut flush and giving the ace a cheapy, not putting $$ in when you have it &amp; protect your hand and basically just suffer from FPS to the nth degree. (okay, now i'm exaggerating b/c there are lots of "mistake #3's" from sklansky's 8 poker mistakes where the call would cost more but i still think this particular call just sucked).

fyi, mistake #3 is "calling when you should fold" most often done on the flop w/ two cards to come when the offender has not properly calculated true or effective odds.

back to the post. Well played on hand #2. especially the 3bet/fold, you KNOW you're beat when the c-r'er caps. tptk goes mucky. the only question would be MAYBE you should fold for the c-r because that signals (unless you know the player) two pair from the blinds, t8, or set in most circumstances, all of which beat tptk. but the threebet is good if you think he'd c-r with top or middle pair to "see where he's at"

questions? comments?
-Barron