Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Anybody else call this one...

The pot was being played 6 ways...I had a $50 call into a T270 pot...I'm going to take that stab with AQs every time.

I agree that calling with only a flush draw is probably not +EV if that's all I have, but I did have the overcards, and the draw was to the nut flush. A marginal play, I'll grant you...but I would definitely not push here this early...

Too risky for me at this stage of the game...

CCC
Old 02-09-2004, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, low limit PStars SnG's are becoming more and more weird

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I'm playing the $5 + $.50 SNGs at Stars lately and I love them. Yes, there's a few fish in each one, but usually once it gets down to the final four or five there's some remarkably good poker going on (in comparison to the buy-in).
Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 AM

If I had 99, 33, 22 in this spot I would have gone all in on the flop rather than bet the pot and let someone draw out on me for less than their entire stack.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The pot was being played 6 ways...I had a $50 call into a T270 pot...I'm going to take that stab with AQs every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop the call is fine. You have to think in terms of implied odds -- if you don't know what that means, reread the first few chapters of The Theory of Poker. Actually read that anyway.

At the early stages of a no-limit tournament you can call these raises preflop because the T50 you're calling is such a small fraction of the money available to be won. Your implied odds are something like 20-to-1 on that call, maybe even higher considering it's a six-way pot and you could conceivably triple through if you win the hand. AQ-suited will hit often enough for that to be correct.

On the flop, your call was terrible. Now you are not getting good implied odds, considering that your opponent will likely bet again on the turn if you miss. Checkraising allin on the flop would be okay; checkfolding would probably be better.

(The reason checkraising all-in is a good play is that much of the time your opponents will all fold.)