Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Why not move up to 15/30?

[ QUOTE ]
When, if ever, do you plan on moving up in stakes? Your bankroll is surely big enough by now to support the 15/30 games. Or is it that you feel the 5/10 6 max tables are more profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you should be able to beat the full $15-30's. These games don't seem tough to me, especially during the evenings and weekends. There are plenty of fish playing stupid hands. I would think that the little mistakes you make playing four 6max tables can add up quickly since you are playing a ton of hands. (Of course, your edge also means your profits will add up quickly as well). You have to be making mistakes by playing those many tables because you can't possible watch 4 6max as closely as you can watch 3 full games. I think you could make more money watching three full $15-30 closely and making better decisions than by playing 4 6max $5-10's. Of course, the bankroll requirements are higher, and you have to make sure you psychologically handle the bigger swings (in terms of $'s).

Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: What\'s the right unit of measurement here? Need the complete specs.

[ QUOTE ]
You say don't move up to 10/20 till you're making $60/hour at 5/10 short-handed. Are you saying $60/hour for one table, or the four tables at once that David plays? And are these hours by the clock? David seems to be into measuring by number of hands dealt versus clock hours, so as to have some basis of comparison to bricks-and-mortar.

[/ QUOTE ]

$60/hr playing 3 or 4 tables. Using his metrics, 2BB/100 hands would be a good goal IMO to achieve before moving up to 10/20. I think $100+/hr is definitely achievable multi-tabling at 10/20, but only players who are beating the 5/10 game pretty soundly will be able to do that. There's definitely more money to be made at the 10/20, but up to a point I think it would be easier and lower variance for David to keep increasing his win rate in the smaller game.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Limp reraising AA/KK

I'm not sure anyone is advocating limp-reraising AJs in a Party 3/6 game. I would assume GoT was referring to the 5/10 6-max games.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but would his winrate be better at the 5/10 full games in comparison to the 6 max?

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt that. The 5/10 6-max Party games are really wild yet soft. The 5/10 full is a completely different game and can be tough to beat at times.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]
good observasion, Joe. i found this to be true about the 10-20 ring games just the other day (cause i never played 10-20 ring before on party [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]). they play an entirely different style and tend to be weak tight and overly tricky. all of that translates into a sub-par party poker game.

btw, Even though i lost to them, i consider them my fishes anyway.

Kenny
Old 02-09-2004, 05:05 PM

Limp-reraising these hands seems to work well for me because I think I have a tighter image with raises. I win the blinds with a raise a fair amount of the time, and I hate to have that happen with AA or KK. TO be honest, the better players might figure it out and bail, but it's not the better players I'm trying to trap. Most of the players in this game pay you off based on their hand, not what they think you have. THis gets a litle more money in the pot pre-flop. It's like the guy that 3 bets from the SB, then checks the K high flop. He almost always has a set of K's, but gets in a raise anyway.

I have tried limp-reraising TT and 99 as well to cover, but invariably someone calls you down.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:08 PM

Becuase I make significant withdrawals every 2 weeks my bankroll isn't healthy enough for 15/30 or even 10/20. I hope to try 10/20 when I have around 15K to play with.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Hey david, I\'d like to see...

...you come back to playing the 5/10 full ring games on Party. That's where I'm playing and I always enjoyed playing with you (as long as the rest of the competition isn't as good as you.) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The good ol' days on Paradise.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You go under the handle davidross there, or something different?

P.S. once again, enjoying your adventures here.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:45 PM

I'm not sure anyone is advocating limp-reraising AJs in a Party 3/6 game. I would assume GoT was referring to the 5/10 6-max games.

A couple months ago, my usual live game was 3/6 or 4/8, and I absolutely LOVED limp-reraising with AJs at those tables. I think it was Clarkmeister who said that though he doesn't limp-reraise often, when he does it is with AA, KK, TT, and AJs. While I don't use the play with TT and I add a few others, I think AJs is a great hand to limp-reraise with at certain full-handed tables, as well as AQs, AKo, and maybe a couple others occassionally.

GoT
Old 02-09-2004, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't use the play with TT and I add a few others, I think AJs is a great hand to limp-reraise with at certain full-handed tables, as well as AQs, AKo, and maybe a couple others occassionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I was wrong, I usually save the limp reraises for AKs or AQs because it feels wrong 3-betting with a hand I barely want to call a raise with (although I've Limp-Reraised with KQs before so its not like I can say much)

If I get raised by an LP player who I think is just isolating me, I will often pop him with 77 or 88 just to keep those pesky raisers on their toes.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:53 PM

I think that you should be able to beat the full $15-30's. These games don't seem tough to me, especially during the evenings and weekends. There are plenty of fish playing stupid hands. I would think that the little mistakes you make playing four 6max tables can add up quickly since you are playing a ton of hands. (Of course, your edge also means your profits will add up quickly as well). You have to be making mistakes by playing those many tables because you can't possible watch 4 6max as closely as you can watch 3 full games. I think you could make more money watching three full $15-30 closely and making better decisions than by playing 4 6max $5-10's. Of course, the bankroll requirements are higher, and you have to make sure you psychologically handle the bigger swings (in terms of $'s).

No disrespect to David intended, but I don't think he's ready to play the 15 game on Party. The swings will be much greater there, both in terms of actually money and in terms of BB/hr, and I don't think he's ready to psychologically handle it. Also, David himself has either alluded to or said outright that he's not skilled enough to play higher, and I agree with him. If he's only beating 5/10 for 1 BB/100 hands, then there's a good chance he'd be a losing player at 15/30, regardless of if he toned down on the number of tables. I think he's making a wise choice in sticking to the 5/10 and working on fixing his leaks there. Anyways, he doesn't have the bankroll for playing 15/30 full-time even if he wanted to. I don't want to speak for him, but I don't feel comfortable playing there full-time without 800 BB's, and I don't have a family to support. I'm guessing he'd want at least a 1000 BB bankroll, which'd be $30k, and I don't think he has that much in his roll. Yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GoT