Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 PM

Default Lose on Party win on Prima?

My first venture into online poker was the OIC. I did surprisingly well for the first week, turning the $50 into just over $500 when I hit 3/6 and got killed...to make a long story short I tilted away a lot of money (well, it's a lot of money to me...I understand this isn't anything to many of you).

I took a month break from the virtual poker world before a friend referred me to Party Poker where he said I should do quite well. I read these forums every day, but haven't posted since the OIC. From here, I also learned that Party was where the softest action was. So I quickly lost another $100, mostly at 1/2. Luckily I referred a friend and got a free 50 bucks and won back some of that $100 before cashing out in disgrace yet again.

I decided it was time to hang up my online poker hat if I couldn't win at what everyone says is the most beatable game around. Then I saw a couple bonuses on the Prima network on Saturday. I fell for it again and bought in for $50. Since Sunday morning (it's now Tuesday night) I've made over $300 playing mostly 1/2 and some .50/1.

Why can I win on Prima but not at Party?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Lose on Party win on Prima?

You have to be properly bankrolled and skilled to consistently win money at a given limit level. Let's assume you have the skills to beat the Party $1-2 game... Given this fact, $100 dollars is not enough bankroll to play this level properly. You could lose that all in one session with rough enough cards. So save up a couple hundred BB's ($400), read a few poker books, bonus whore a few sites, and get back in there to make the cash.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:28 PM

If it is not just a winning streak on prima or a losing streak on TGC, I may know the answer. You are playing low limits. By percentage of total players, there are a lot more 2+2ers on prima (due to OIC). You may know how to play against decent players, but don't play well against poor players. You have to adjust your style based on the type of player.

For example, at the lower limits, bluffs usually only work against decent players. If you are playing with a bunch of poor players, they will almost always call you down.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:05 AM

What sort of changes do you recommend in starting hands?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:56 AM

In general, if you are playing no foldem holdem (very loose players), you only want to play premium hands.