Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Anyone slowplay this? Hand #2

I dont really like your 4 bet pre-flop....Even though it is the best hand probably, If your any type of tricky player at all you wont 4 bet aa or kk here, and when you 4 bet im sure the player automaticly discounts both these hands. So hes going to put you on ak qq jj or 10's. When you smoothcall you could have anything from 7-8s to aa. I just like the smoothcall a bit more. As far as the flop, I would never stop raising. The moment that you smoothcall the 3rd bet and raise the turn, hes going to put the brakes on. But he just might go 6 or 7 bets with his overpair, or better yet HE deicdes to smoothcall and checkraise the turn and let you make it 3 bets. Never stop raising the flop.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Hand #2 - results

We went 10 bets on the flop.
The turn was a red deuce. We went 4 more bets.
I made quads on the river. 4 more bets each.
He held 77 for middle set on the flop.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 PM

You should never slow down. Your heavy preflop action (which I don't like) will leave him completely puzzled. There is no way he can put you on a set of 10's before many more bets go by. You have so much action with the nuts, take it!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:17 PM

When were you planning on slowing down w/ your tens?

My opponent in the hand was really aggressive. He thought I was steal-raising, and I expected him to three-bet with any ace. His five-bet meant he had a strong ace or a pair.

I get the feeling that my fellow 2+2ers think I raise a bit too much preflop. (The other people at the table certainly seemed surprised.) I'm starting to think so, too. That's why I'm posting hands in which I may have gone too far.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Hand #2 - results

Yeah, you went too far pre-flop. You'll usually be a small favorite or a big dog in this situation, even against many maniacs. But probably just one-raise too many. I asked when you would stop because I was curious as to whether or not you would 8-bet.

Anyway, you put in a 6-bet where I think calling the 5-bet is better. No big deal.

The important thing here is that you didn't try to get tricky post-flop. When you've represented a bigger pair than you have and then flop the nuts, you have to keep raising and hope your opponent flopped something good or he tried to get tricky w/ AA.

I'm actually surprised that your very aggressive opponent in a game full of maniacs didn't give you more action. I mean, you can't complain about 13 BB post-flop, but vs. the maniacs I play against, when the case Ten hits on the river, we're almost certainly going to the felt.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:07 PM

Slow playing MAY gain you 1sb. It may also SAVE you 1sb if an Ace falls and he bets on the turn. Slow playing may also COST you a few extra bets since he may keep raising on the flop but slow down on the turn after your apparent slow play.

This really isn't slow playing since he surely has enough to pay it off right now. Waiting until the turn to raise, in this case, really isn't "slow playing" in the classical sense.

Slow playing also does NOT match your apparent maniacal style that inexplicetely encouraged you to 6bet PF with a paltry pair of Ts. If you play that aggressively be sure to be aggressive with the nuts.

- Louie
Old 02-03-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Hand #2 - results

I'm actually surprised that your very aggressive opponent in a game full of maniacs didn't give you more action. I mean, you can't complain about 13 BB post-flop, but vs. the maniacs I play against, when the case Ten hits on the river, we're almost certainly going to the felt.

Ulysses, where do u play? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

oh, i think i did mention something like keep "turbo-raising" on the flop, hehe, so i was right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Kenny
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 PM

keep going on the flop till he stops. screw slowplaying in this situation. four bet and hope he five bets so you can six bets. Some people put in crazy bets before they know what the hell's going on. They expect you to slowplay TT.