Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 07:02 PM

Default I love No Limit

After a successful day of playing, I am dealt 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the BB at the NL $50 at Truepoker. 5 limp to me, and I gladly check. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet out $6 hoping someone hit a piece of the flop. I am called by 3 players! An innocent 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hits the turn, and I decide to make anyone on a flush draw pay a decent amount for it. I bet $16, and a wild and reckless player moves over the top for $120 more. I begin drooling ready to take the pot down, and ANOTHER player calls all in for about $50! I type in "sorry, NUTS!!!!!!!" and call. Raiser shows A9, Caller shows A2. River is harmless, and I take the $288 pot down.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Re: I love No Limit

Do you still love it when another 9 drops on the river?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Truepoker NL ..... Design questions

We have been spreading two levels of NL holdem at Truepoker and have received pretty steady play, even on graveyard. The blinds are set at $1+$1 for a $50 buyin table and $2+$1 (Big/little) for our $100 buyin table.

Does the level $1 blind at the $50 table drastically affect it's attractiveness. (When we can do so, software-wise, should we drop to a $1-$.50 Big-little structure ?)

What is the relative attractiveness for players looking for heads-up NL play between a cash table and a HU NL tournament format (S&G) ?

Your feedback is appreciated. My email is management@truepoker.com

Truepoker CEO
Old 01-29-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Truepoker NL ..... Design questions

Hey.

The sites with 100x blinds per stack are the ones i'd rather play it. At least then it is NL.

If truepoker offered a 200x 500x max buy in i'd move there. If it offered a 100x 200x MIN and no max buy in that would do it for me too.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:19 AM

For heads up play I think most people would prefer the tournament format unless the rake was drastically reduced for the cash game format.

Paul
Old 01-29-2004, 05:45 AM

i am strongly in favor of a structure that promotes looser play. while it seems that minimizing the ratio of buy-in to blinds will keep the poor players around longer, i believe that a player who moves from party poker's $25 no-limit tables with .25/.50 blinds to, say, ub's no-limit tables, will probably seek out the $25 tables with .10/.25 blinds rather than the $50 tables with .25/.50 blinds. in other words, they will probably pick their table based on the buy-in, not the blinds.

i think 100 big blinds as the max buy-in is a good standard. it strikes a good balance between skillful play and not having the weakies go broke too quick.

as for heads-up play, i know i would rather play a sit and go. the rake in heads-up cash games is a killer, even with the reduction.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:12 AM

Off topic, but does it bug anyone else when someone makes this kind of statement before they call? IMO if you have the nuts, just call the all-in, we'll see it soon enough.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:00 PM

Bogatog Yes, it's a stupid comment. Two people just lost a lot of money with questionable play and you intentionally piss them off. Wasn't enough just to take their money? You want these kind of players coming back, not leaving angry. When I take a pot that size I usually hope for someone to say NH and then comment how lucky I was and how well they played it. Make people feel they are playing correctly and come back with the big stacks.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:45 PM

Default yes n/m

Old 01-30-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey.

The sites with 100x blinds per stack are the ones i'd rather play it. At least then it is NL.

If truepoker offered a 200x 500x max buy in i'd move there. If it offered a 100x 200x MIN and no max buy in that would do it for me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
100X Min will dry up the fish....