Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Fish x 2 = overcall?

15-30 on Pacific.

I have J9 in the big blind. Flop is J 9 8 two diamonds. I bet, two guys call. Turn is a low offsuit card. I bet, both call again. River is the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, first guy bets, second guy calls. Assuming both players are fishy, does the formula in the subject line apply? Who bets and folds to a raise? Results to come.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Fish x 2 = overcall?

I’m not sure what you mean by fishy. Calling stations, hence they are fish? Sneaky?

In any case, I would think I am beat most of the time, but there are eight big bets in the pot (perhaps more – you didn’t say how many saw the flop). I only have to win 11% of the time to break even with a call. There are several scenarios that match the betting. One is that the Ace made one pair inducing a bet into your check and the second call could be something like KJ. I’m content to just check and call, particularly since I can’t get reraised here.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:41 PM

You should simply call. You should not reaise.

If the so called "fish" 3 bets you are going to fold for one more bet? Why not just call. (unless for some reason you know your players really well)
Old 01-27-2004, 04:10 PM

Call and expect to win.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Results

I think TTT is right--call and expect to win. Unfortunately, I was playing 4 games at once and did not consider the fishiness of my opponents. One of those decisions you regret as soon as you click the button.

The bettor showed some sheit like T4s (busted straight draw) and the caller dragged the pot with K9 offsuit.

When both opponents are fishy, I believe an overcall is correct because it's a lot less likely that they were on the draw that got there. And even the fishiest of players will raise with a made hand on the river, so you don't really have to worry about the caller.