Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Did I get to tricky with Big Slick?

Party 2/4. Table is more aggressive than usual. 80% of the pots are raised PF. I'm in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Folded to MP who raises, Button calls, SB folds, I call. Should I have 3-bet here?

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checked, I figure my hand is disguised and I could get in a checkraise later. MP bets, button calls, I call.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, MP bets, button folds, I check-raise, MP 3-bets, whoops, I wasn't expecting that. I call. At this point I'm hoping we are chopping. Should I have layed it down or raised?

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Check, Bet, Call

I didn't really feel too bad about the way I played this hand, but after it was over some guy types in "Nice check-raise" and called me an idiot. Am I an idiot? You be the judge.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Did I get to tricky with Big Slick?

Hands down you should 3-bet preflop. Having done that, it would have changed the situation completely so I'm having trouble responding.

I think I would have lead out on this flop and 3-bet when raised.

The check-raise plan is not that bad.

F-him and his remarks.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Hi NutCracker,

I just can tell you how I played your hand. I'd three-bet preflop with that hand. With that many PF raises you're likely to hold the best hand.

On the flop: Bet the hell out, there's a two-flush on the board, and although you hit top-pair/top-kicker, you're hand is vulnerable, so if someone's on a draw, make them pay for it. It is very straightforward, what I recommend, but be aware, that most times, solid straightforward poker is the best you can do. However, I just bet out the turn again, and in case you get raised, check-call it down, depending on the player. I guess your opponent raised with A10 in this case.

However, a fourbet is surely the wrong move, man you just hold a pair, it's only a pair, even if it is top pair!

Did you lose the hand? Generally I think you played it well, apart from flat-calling PF, and checking the flop.

TO end up, give a [censored] on what people say or write, especially if they swear at you. And in your case I think you just scared the [censored] out of him, so that he had to change pants! I guess he just expressed his relief by calling you an idiot, because he although dragged the pot (I guess you lost that one)!
Many people are so stressed, that they will shout at you, even when they win the pot.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:43 AM

Depending on the table and how you plan to play this hand I won't argue with the preflop call. However, once you the flop hits and you have TPTK its pretty easy. Your opponents may have 4 spades. You MUST 3 bet the flop. Calling is a big mistake.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:00 PM

Folded to MP who raises, Button calls, SB folds, I call. Should I have 3-bet here?

I probably would have.

I checked, I figure my hand is disguised and I could get in a checkraise later. MP bets, button calls, I call.

I might have led out and reraised a raise, or check raised. People will call with a coordinated board and you most likely have the best hand.

I check, MP bets, button folds, I check-raise, MP 3-bets, whoops, I wasn't expecting that. I call. At this point I'm hoping we are chopping. Should I have layed it down or raised?

I would have gotten in one more raise.

You have to call the river.

Am I an idiot? You be the judge.

Not an idiot, just too tricky.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Results: Did I get to tricky with Big Slick?

I didn't 3-bet PF because AK just hasn't been working out for me lately. Normally I raise if first in or unraised to me, but if it's raised before me I have just been calling to try to catch my TPTK before I get aggressive with it.

In this situation a 3-bet PF wouldn't have helped me win the hand, but it would have saved me money. The guy had pocket T's. The way I played it I lost 5 1/2 BB's. If I would have 3-bet PF, led out on the flop and called his reraise, and then moved into check-call mode, I would have only lost 4 1/2 BB's.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Results: Did I get to tricky with Big Slick?

The way I played it I lost 5 1/2 BB's. If I would have 3-bet PF, led out on the flop and called his reraise, and then moved into check-call mode, I would have only lost 4 1/2 BB's.

This is wrong-thinking. Turn it around. Most of the time, you are making another BB if he has a lesser Ace or a pocket pair that doesn't touch the board.

Don't think about losing less, think about winning more.

- Jim
Old 01-22-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Results: Did I get to tricky with Big Slick?

A bet saved is a bet earned.

All I'm saying is that this is a situation where aggressive play earlier in the hand could have saved me a bet.

It's not always about winning the most chips.