Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 03:29 PM

Default 15-30: Not Aggressive in the right spots?

Playing a good 15-30 game on Party. I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cutoff. Folded to an MP poster who checks his option, I raise, both blinds call, the poster calls. 4 to the flop of Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check to the poster who bets, I raise. SB folds, BB calls 30 cold, poster reraises, I call, BB calls. The turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]giving me the nut flush draw. BB checks, poster bets. Is this an automatic raise with two players putting in so much action? I doubt I can get them off a king but maybe could get the BB off one if he has to call 60 cold. Anyway, I meekly call as does the BB. River bricks off with the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to poster who bets. Do I even have a call here with the BB remaining to act behind me? There is $402 in the pot at this point.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: 15-30: Not Aggressive in the right spots?

[ QUOTE ]
Playing a good 15-30 game on Party. I'm dealt A Q in the cutoff. Folded to an MP poster who checks his option, I raise, both blinds call, the poster calls. 4 to the flop of Q K 7 . Check to the poster who bets, I raise. SB folds, BB calls 30 cold, poster reraises, I call, BB calls. The turn is the 8 giving me the nut flush draw. BB checks, poster bets. Is this an automatic raise with two players putting in so much action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is usually an automatic raise for me, in spots like this.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I meekly call as does the BB. River bricks off with the 4 . Checked to poster who bets. Do I even have a call here with the BB remaining to act behind me? There is $402 in the pot at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the turn raise, this question is usually, but not always, easier to answer. I think it is an important reason to make it.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:10 PM

As to raising on the turn, this hand is going to a showdown. You can win by hitting your flush or pairing the A, as the opener who limped preflop most likely has KQ or KJ. The BB likely has JT or a weaker king. Your preflop raise could represent AK, but a raise won't push a KQ or KJ off the hand. If the BB has JT, an A makes his straight. You may lose him for the raise turn on the turn. So the decision seems to be to raise the BB off the hand in case he has JT, or to keep him in the hand to get one more bet if your flush hits. If the opener has KQ and puts you on AK, you will get reraised. If you call on the turn and hit the flush you win one bet from the BB on the turn and probably one from the opener on the river. If you don't hit the flush, you fold and lose no more bets. If you raise on the turn and get reraised and don't hit, you lose two additional bets. If you raise, get reraised and hit, you win three additional bets if the BB folds and the limper calls. The best justification for the raise is to fold a JT for two bets and win if an A hits the river. For this reason, I would probably raise. I would also call the river if it doesn't hit.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:21 PM

Well, it sounds to me like the BB has something like JT and the MP has like K7 suited. I would think he would raise with KQ or 77 when it was folded to him. Anyways, this hand is going to a showdown. A raise will probably lose the BB, which isn't really a good thing if you hit. The problem is that you could get reraised, and have to pay 3 bets on the draw. However, if the BB does have JT, its good to get him to fold, so the Ace gives you three additional outs. I think its close either way. I think you can safely fold the river when you missed though.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:54 PM

For those interested, I folded the river pretty sure I was beat. The other player folded, so the bettor won with no showdown. Comments? I think the turn is very close between calling and raising. But on the river, even with big odds, I'm almost certain I'm beat by at least one of them.

Thanks..
Jeff
Old 01-12-2004, 04:10 AM

By the action that took place, I would put the BB on J10, unless he's the type who just can never let go of top pair no matter what the kicker. So, I think I call the bet expecting to lose, but not expecting an overcall from the BB.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:20 AM

I think you played it fine.

If you think you're beaten, raising the turn has very little value.

If you don't think you're beaten, use that BB from the raise to call the river. Meanwhile, if you improve (Q or heart), you can raise the bet on the river.