Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Default The depth of perception - Two KK hands w/ 2 players

Interesting two hands about table perception of two players. I thought there are some good learnings to be gained, maybe not. $4-8 average game for a change.

I have been in an unsual state the last three sessions. I have been receiving every possible combination of good drawing hand at a rate of about one out of four hands - AKs -> JTs, and many small pairs. Unfortunately they haven't been going anywhere. So my preflop play looks very very loose when you add in the BB, but my see the river action is almost nil. The second player in the discussion is playing straight forward S&M poker. Typical winning hand has been as low as A7o high in the last hour, 22 swept the pot with four to the river previous hand.

I receive KK in the BB. First time I have seen KK in over 10 hours of play. Five limpers to me for one bet, and I raise. Five limpers all call my raise. Flop is rags, I bet all call. I bet the turn, bet the river and win the pot. All is good, nothing special. On to the interesting part.

Few hands later the second player five seats from me raises three limpers plus SB from BB. Flop is assorted rags. SB checks to Second player who bets, all fold and he flips over KK - identical hand to mine.

What is your opinion of how the table played these hands against these two different players? I thought there were preception errors made, or maybe it's just my perception of bad play by the table. Comments?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: The depth of perception - Two KK hands w/ 2 players

Your KK could have affected the next KK. He played it much like you did, and the others had just been beat by the high pocket pair, and are more suseptable to lay down when.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:27 PM

Hi Mike,

Based on what you said about the table, being an average $4-$8 table, I feel that the players were just playing their cards rather than thinking why BB would pump the pot. Your hand had one extra opponent also. Nothing much to do with your image.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:15 PM

Thank you both for your insights, you both saw areas I didn't consider.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:26 PM

While there may be some correlation between your hand and the subsequent hand, there is also a high probability that your KK opponents had something to draw to (straight or flush), while that might not have been the case on the subsequent hand.