Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 06:08 PM

Default 2/4 Stars Hand

Not sure if i played this correctly and wanted some imput.

PokerStars Game #241586643: Hold'em Limit ($2/$4) -
6 handed

I am in the sb with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

utg calls, utg+1 raises, button calls, i call(should i have raised), bb calls, utg calls.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check(should have bet out?), bb checks, utg bets, utg+1 raises, button cold calls, i call(intending to cr the turn if no straight card hits, mistake?), bb folds, utg calls.
9 bb

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check(mistake?), utg bets, utg+1 calls button raises, i fold

Do i need to be more aggressive from the start of this hand and should i lead out both on the flop and the turn. Now that i think about it i should have called the turn but i am not sure, all opinions welcome.!

Results to follow
Old 01-11-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Stars Hand

I would NOT have raised pre-flop, because I don't think it's likely to get people out of the pot-- your TT is dead as dirt if the flop brings anything with an A, K, or Q in it.

However, you flopped your set. Lee Jones says and I wholeheartedly agree: if you get beat playing a set and don't lose a LOT of chips, you probably didn't play it right. I would have (re)raised it the whole way on the flop... J9 just isn't THAT likely, and I would have taken my chances against seeing a QQ. Without knowing the table I can't strongly fault you for folding, but at that point I would have thrown my money in and hoped for the (likely) blank on the river. The J is scary, but it doesn't add all that many realistic hands to the "list of stuff that beats me here":

9x (not likely!)
99,JJ (possible)
A9,K9 (possible)

basically, lots of gutshots here. Are you playing at a table with people who will call these gutshots?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:50 AM

yes the other players would deffinately call with any kind of draw.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:00 AM

I wouldn't 3-bet from the SB either on this. I'd check-raise the flop and cap if it gets 3-bet. There is no chance I'm folding this on the turn. The pot is 13 BBs if I counted properly, if the board pairs, you're almost certainly good giving you 10 outs. You're getting 13-2 on a 3.6-1 shot with at least the original bettor behind calling and probably the call. This makes 8-1 which will more than make up for the times you aren't good.

You should've check 3-bet the flop with this to try to thin the field, may not have worked, but should've been tried.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:43 AM

Default Results, more imput needed thou

Of course the other two people called and the case 10 hit on the river. The turn raiser had broadway and the other two callers each had queen jack which signifacantly reduced my number of outs on the river to 4.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check(should have bet out?), bb checks, utg bets, utg+1 raises, button cold calls, i call(intending to cr the turn if no straight card hits, mistake?), bb folds, utg calls.
9 bb

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd three bet here every time.
[ QUOTE ]
I check(mistake?), utg bets, utg+1 calls button raises, i fold

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way you should fold here, even if you are beat you still have outs.