Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Mnemonic Question: Knowing Your Players

What’s a fast way to get to "know" the players one is up against in a B&M game? Remembering every play (they allow you to see) still requires remembering said play(s)
hours later, so I was wondering whether anyone had any "tricks" or mnemonics for making this aspect of the game a little easier. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Mnemonic Question: Knowing Your Players

I don't usually remember specific plays unless it was against me or unless it was particularly interesting. I just try to generally categorize the players in the game if I don't know them. That is I'll form an impression of the player as tight, loose, aggressive, maniac, tricky, bluffer, etc. Then combine them as appropriate.

I'm just not able to remember specific hands played unless they are remarkable, though I may remember that they like to checkraise the river or some such detail.

There's no real quick way to do this. You just have to watch them play.

Regards,

T.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:55 PM

If you read Dr. Al Schoonmaker's "Psychology of Poker", he presents a fairly easy system to classify players according to a tight/loose and passive/aggressive scale.

For ring games, this is usually sufficient, rather than remembering specific plays a player made against you. For large NL tournaments, remembering specific plays is more relevant, and I think the better players just have really great memories.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:10 PM

I don't have a problem with remembering things a few hours later. I get very serious impression from specific things (good or bad) that a player has done.

I believe that the better (at least educated) regular players keep a notebook on players they encounter with any frequency. If you play with the same guy every day, you'll know what he does; if you play with the same guy once or twice a month, it's probably not a easy to remember all his moves. If I were a regular B&M player I'd have some kind of pocket size notebook that I could easily refer to. (Of course, I'd take a "bathroom" break - I'd never pull it out at the table!)
Old 01-08-2004, 10:24 PM

What’s a fast way to get to "know" the players one is up against in a B&M game?

Use your power of observation. Pay attention to a players betting patterns. Some players play by the seats of their pants. No way to really know how they play, because they do not even know how they play.

Some players overplay pocket pairs and overcards. Some players will only bet with the nuts and check call with much less.

Pick up Dr Al's book.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:36 AM

I give them nick-names that reflect the way the play

eg. I play with one guy who will call any ace, and chase it till the river, as well as any type of draw weather he has the odds or not. Soooo I call him Ace chaser

Another guy I play with is the personification of weak tight. So I call him pussy cat.

Othere names I have are:
Picture boy: raises any 2 picture cards or better
PP head: cant release any pocket pair
angry shark: TIGHT AGGRESSIVE

etc.

hope this helps

Old 01-10-2004, 06:24 AM

There's an easier and more subtle way to take notes near the table. Most newer cell phones can record voice memos (mine can hold an hour or two of them). So I walk away from the table, talk to my cell phone for a minute or two, shove it back in my pocket, and walk back.

To date nobody's said anything to make me think they know I'm taking notes. After all, it looks like I was just making a quick phone call, something I step away from the table to do anyway.