Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Musings about pokertracker and my playing

I also use PT as a way to profile opponents.

I have started to use it in conjunction with Dr. Al Schoonmaker's book "The Psychology of Poker" specifically the chapter on rating players.

Here are some of the things PT allows you to profile relevant to that chapter in the book:

1. Distinctions Between Early and Late Streets.
2. Over Protecting The Blinds.
3. Distinguishing Between Betting and Raising.
4. Betting on Weakness and Position.
5. Check-Raising.
6. Betting or Raising on The Come.

He also talks about agression as an expression of the ratios between rases and calls, bets and checks.

You could also use PT to choose games. For example shadowing profitable opponents playing where they play.

One of the problems is sample size. There are so many players out there that oftentimes you play enough with them to get a good read, unless you shadow them and build up a big enough sample size. In any event even though the sample size is small in most cases, it's still better than nothing.

The trick is knowing what stats are relevant and how to use that info. In the low limit games the majority of players play the same cluless, so it might be easier to pick out the good players.

Many of my notes are "plays any ace, two suited, or face cards regardless of position, which was easy to track in PT (as long as they showdown their hands).

I do use the in game capabilities to make quick reads and gather intel on my opponents in semi-realtime.