Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Fold on fifth?

I think I chased for two long in a 5-10 hand I had the other weekend. 7 handed it started out.

(**)2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
(**)K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(**)6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
(**)3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(**)5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
(**)2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
(8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] brings it in, K folds, 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls, 3 folds 5 calls 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] folds, I call. I know this isn't a spectacular hand, but I could get in cheap with a chance to pick up a good straight draw. Was this too loose a call?

4th St. ($10.50 in the pot)
(**)2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
(**)6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
(**)5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q: [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I've hit my perfect card, but the king bets out, Q calls, and I raise with my 7 outer for the straight plus a 3 flush. Was this too aggressive? Anyway, the 2-4 folds, the king calls, and the queen folds.

5th ($34.50)

(**)6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
(8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bets his kings and I call. At the time I was blinded by my completely live flush, and very live straight draws, but now i'm wondering what I was doing. Is this a pretty automatic fold? I've never played with him before and I really didn't put him on much (One of the kings was dead).
Old 01-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Fold on fifth?

Fifty cent ante/two dollar bring-in in this game, right? I'd like the call on third street better if the bring-in were smaller, but I think it's OK. You have a buried two-flush, your cards are live, your opponents are showing garbage, and your call closes the action. This certainly isn't a bad call.

Your fourth-street raise is reasonable. The bring-in probably isn't calling for one bet anyway, and you may be able to buy a free card on fifth street if you so choose. In spots like this, I tend to bet fifth street if things seem favorable and take the free card on sixth if I don't improve.

Why would you fold fifth street? Why would you even think of folding on fifth street? If you don't like your draw at this point, don't play gapped straight draws on third street. You might even be able to win if you hit Aces or Aces-up. If you think your opponent has only the Kings, you are the favorite and a raise is in order. There is no reason to think that opponent has three Kings, and even if he does, you can draw out on those too. You just have to see the river here.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:53 PM

How can you even THINK of folding on 5th? You are going to the river here. The pot is too big to even consider folding, and you have a great draw that's quite live.

al
Old 01-07-2004, 09:24 PM

Even Mr. Weak Tight (me) likes your hand on fifth. If he has three kings, he's just going to win some money. But it's not too likely. Sure you'd rather have another player in to give you better odds, but you'd have to hit me over the wrists with a crowbar to induce a fold here.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:54 PM

You should have folded on 3rd, but once you're in it, there's no way you can fold on 5th. Other than having made your hand already on 5th, what else could you want other than a totally live 4-str and totally live 4-fl?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:37 PM

1. the call on third is fine as long as you have a two flush and it is not raised.

2.why did you raise here? you dont want to knock anyone out, and you cant be sure that all the players will call your raise. there is no reason to raise or make a free card play here since you want to get money in the pot and you wont get a free card anyway.

3.there is no reason to fold on fifth. your hand has developed as good as you could have hoped, there is no reason to think your opponent has trips and you have a good chance at winning certainly enough to call.

pat
Old 01-08-2004, 06:45 PM

The bring-in is probably folding on fourth street anyway. Why won't he get a free card on fifth? Should he have known that the guy was going to pair his King?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:09 PM

you may be right that he could get a free card, but itis fairly obvious as a free card play so the correct play would be for the K to bet again. but i probably gave the K too much credit. so there is some possibility he could get a free card.

pat
Old 01-09-2004, 04:00 PM

My general experience at $3/6 and $6/12 is that free card plays work a very, very high percentage of the time.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:49 AM

Hi,

Calling is fine.
If opponent is rolled or has the case king, well then thats poker. You have too many outs to fold there.

CJ