Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 05:10 PM

Default LA Poker Classic

So, I plan on venturing out of the desert in Phoenix to play in some of the Hold 'Em tournaments at the commerce. Nameley, the $300, $500 and $1000 buy-in tourneys and see if I can parlay one of those into a Championship round entry.

Anywho, getting ready to book a flight and was wondering if they cap the number of entries in any way for these? If I show up an hour before the $300 tourney, am I going to get a seat?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: LA Poker Classic

I have a separate question about the LA Poker Classic, and I was wondering if someone who frequents the Commerce could ask for me (since they aren't returning my emails).

There are satellites for the $10,000 main event, but I'm wondering if they have satellites for the smaller events, the $300, $500, $1000 type events.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 06:46 PM

I don't "know" the answer. However, at even money, I'd bet at least half my bankroll that they do.

The more pertinent questions are going to be during what hours, at what price, and how well are they structured.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 01-06-2004, 01:27 PM

This got buried pretty quickly. Anyone know?

I guess I can call them.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:18 PM

I don't know either, but were you playing Omaha H/L last night on Party?
Old 01-06-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are satellites for the $10,000 main event, but I'm wondering if they have satellites for the smaller events, the $300, $500, $1000 type events.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did last year. They have a whole upstairs room dedicated to the tourney, and they run one table satilites for a few weeks before the big tourneys.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:52 PM

I can't speak specifically for this tournament, but I've never seen a tournament anywhere in LA where the entries were capped. If you show up by the start time, you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:19 PM

I've made the journey down from NorCal the last couple of years to play in a handful of these, and in the events i've played in, they have never limited players. That being said, the lines for the events have gotten enormously long - the $330 buy-in limit holdem last year started quite late due to an incredibly long line. They did let everybody in, though...

Can't speak for this year, but I would guess it would be the same...

Good luck - I may make it down again this year, but the 4-month old child may have other ideas...

Cheers...

DoctorJ
Old 01-06-2004, 07:21 PM

There are definitely satellites every day for the smaller events. Usually they will have both no-limit holdem satellites as well as whatever game they're playing that day. I can't remember exactly, but i seem to recall that the last couple of years they started at 11am-ish, based on demand. I never had problems getting into any satellites.

I might also add that especially in the 1st couple of weeks the fields for these satellites were extremely weak...

Cheers...

DoctorJ
Old 01-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Wasn't me Nixon. I don't play at Party and my nic is completely different on other sites than this.

Thanks for all the answers.