Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 04:22 PM

Default I can\'t win anymore

I started playing online about 3 months ago. I play the $1/$2 tables (mostly) at Empire. When I first started I knew about the different hand rankings and could tell a good starting hand from a bad starting hand. I also had played a fair bit of poker while in school. I increased my bankroll from $50 to $300 fairly easily. Then I read "Holdem Poker for Advanced Players" twice, cover to cover. My bankroll is down to $30 and I can't win if my life depended on it. I know this is a great book and I am now much more knowledgeable on the topic of holdem poker than before but I can't win. What do you think is going on?
Old 01-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: I can\'t win anymore

Are you tilting at the table (be honest with yourself)? Are you over/under playing his advice? Are you legitimately considering pot odds and implied odds when you bet and call? If you are following his advice correctly, then there are two possibilities: You are having a bad run of cards or you are becoming too emotionally involved in the game (which it seems given your post).

Take a break, relax and come back to it fresh in a week or so.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:08 PM

You're experiencing normal fluctuation, which is why $50 is way too small a bankroll for 1/2.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:26 PM

Hello

Interesting post. I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Although I am at the .50/$1 tables.

I went back to the original book, "Holdem Poker". I came to the conclusion that the advanced book had me playing too many hands, even if I folded early. I also greatly limited the groupings they say you can play and expanded some other ones. Here is my current strategy which I have adjusted somewhat based on responses from this forum. It seems to be working well but time will tell.

1. I always play slansky groups 1-2.
2. I play slansky group 3, if there is no raise. A couple of group 4, primarily qk.
3. I play pocket pairs down to 77. I fold, at the flop, everything below 10, unless I get trips.
4. I play A anything, if it is suited. I generally fold, at the flop, unless a 4-flush or an A hits.
5. If in late position, no raise and only 1-2 callers, I’ll play K anything suited. I fold, at the flop, unless a 4-flush or a K hits with no A.

Most people here disagree with number 5, but I have found that one to be quite profitable at my tables.

Good luck, Tom
Old 01-05-2004, 07:24 PM

Well we can't know for sure if you're playing the same and getting unlucky, playing the same and experiencing the normal downswings, or if you're playing differently (whether or not it's due to HEPFAP or other reasons).

HEPFAP is not really applicable to low limit games - it says so right in the first few pages. Most of the "moves" are expected to be effective in higher limit games where the majority of the players will be aware enough to recognize certain things.

The "meanings" of stuff like c/r and pre-flop raises are lost to most low level players, so "sending a signal" and expecting a response to be meaningful to you is usually a waste of time in low level games.

I'd advise getting some of the "entry level" books for guidance until you reach the ability to tackle some of the higher lmits (at least 5/10 and up). Then you can start working some of the HEPFAP stuff.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:49 PM

The same thing happened to me at Party. I started with $50 and cashed out over $200 the first week. Now I can't win, but my bankroll needs to be much higher than it is. I still can't help, but feel I have no idea what I'm doing anymore. I seem to have more luck in their no limit tournaments. I will continue to study and read all posts to try to make some money at this thing.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:31 AM

I have only seriously been playing for the past week. Started with $50, went up to just about $150 within 3 days. Then after two terrible days, went as low as $35. Now back around $65. I think it's the nature of the game.

I'm not sure, though, if I'd limit myself to only Group 1-3 hands. I really like playing high suited connectors in late position at passive tables with no raise in front. Certainly as good as playing a K3s, IMHO.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the comments, any suggestions on low limit internet poker books?
Old 01-06-2004, 12:40 AM

Yeah I have to admit that I am guilty of playing too many hands. I downloaded PokerTracker to get a better handle on what I am doing but have not spent much time with it. I'll take a look at the hands you are suggesting. Thanks
Old 01-06-2004, 01:43 PM

The only "entry level" books I've read are Ken Warrens and Helmuths. Most people here don't like Warren's approach (I didn't see a big problem with it) and I wouldn't reccomend Hellmuths as a "How To". He has some pretty extreme tactics. It's a good read and I'd reccomend it to see what some other players might be up to, but I wouldn't employ his strategy as a rule. I see a lot of push for Lee Jones' book and I know that Sklansky has Hold 'Em book ained at the beginner. I haven't read either one, but the amount of support they get from here is probably a good indication.

You may want to go check out the "Books" forum under the "poker" section here. there'sa ton of "what books to buy" threads.