Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2004, 04:23 PM

Default Party NL $25 comments on play( mistakes )

***** Hand History for Game 316049443 *****
0/0 TexasHTGameTable (NL) - Sun Jan 04 14:40:59 EST 2004
Table Card Room Table 3744 (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: johnnysangel ( $37.45)
Seat 2: actuaryal ( $14.40)
Seat 3: neverheard ( $30.50)

Seat 4: BARRYG( $26.10)

Seat 5: Shireman28 ( $28.45)
Seat 6: N_T_405 ( $18)
Seat 7: mossottiman ( $37.60)
Seat 8: webdar ( $12.30)
Seat 9: luvtwoset ( $2.75)
Seat 10: SlammingT ( $18.75)

BARRYG posts small blind (0.25)
Shireman28 posts big blind (0.50)
** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to BARRYG [ Ad, Kd ]

N_T_405 folds.
mossottiman raises (1) to 1
webdar folds.
luvtwoset calls (1)
SlammingT folds.
johnnysangel folds.
neverheard folds.

BARRYG raises (3.75) to 4

Shireman28 folds.
mossottiman calls (3)
luvtwoset calls (1.75)
luvtwoset calls all-In.
Creating Main Pot with $8.35 with luvtwoset

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7s, Js, Qd ]
BARRYG bets (3)
mossottiman calls (3)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ah ]
BARRYG checks.
mossottiman checks.

** Dealing River ** : [ 7d ]
BARRYG bets (10)
mossottiman calls (10)

** Summary **
Main Pot: $8.35 | Side Pot 1: $27.05 | Rake: $1.85

Board: [ 7s Js Qd Ah 7d ]

BARRYG balance $9.10, lost $17 [ Ad Kd ] [ two pairs, aces and sevens -- Ad,Ah,Kd,7s,7d ]

mossottiman balance $51.85, bet $17, collected $31.25, net +$14.25 [ As Qc ] [ two pairs, aces and queens -- As,Ah,Qc,Qd,Js ]
webdar balance $12.30, didn't bet (folded)
luvtwoset balance $4.15, bet $2.75, collected $4.15, net +$1.40 [ Qh Ac ] [ two pairs, aces and queens -- Ac,Ah,Qh,Qd,Js ]

<font color="red"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>
Old 01-04-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Party NL $25 comments on play( mistakes )

I'll comment on your opponents play...I liked it.

He got $$ out of you with his good hand without scaring you off if you had little.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:46 AM

I disagree...the opponent played far too passively. Why would he not raise the river with top 2 pair, I would have assumed that he checked the turn in order to entice a bet on the river, which happened. Otherwise, why not bet top 2 pair on the turn also?

I think AQ could have taken a lot more money down in that situation. Being scared of the 7 doesn't seem to reasonable considering the betting.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Against a tight-aggressive player the only street the opponent played right was the flop.

Our hero play wise, i'd usually bluff the flop but these are the flops that i bluff less as i think the other player got a piece of it compared to most flops. I'd bet the turn and either check or small value bet the river in the hopes of AT, but more often checking the river due to the J Q A board.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 AM

The river 7 is irrelevant. It's the broadway board vs a preflop raiser that the opp's looking at that's his only real concern.

On the turn, if the opp knew Barry had an A, then he should bet - but he doesn't know that - and Barry's actions through his turn check suggest he isn't keen on his hand at this point (unless he's hoping to trap). If I'm the opp, I'm reading Barry for some kind of underpair, which can easily get scared off, or possibly a bigger hand such as a set. So calling the check seems like a good play - from the opps point of view - here. He'll lose $$ to a big hand on the river anyway, but might get something extra out of an inferior one.

If the opp raises the $10 on the river, what kind of hand that a reasonable/decent player might be holding here would be able to call? Only a better hand, imo, ie trips and up.

Again, I'm hoping to learn something here, so just my take.

dogs
Old 01-05-2004, 12:55 PM

I hate getting Ak in the blinds, because unless it hits it is hard to know where you stand. If you bet $4 pre-flop and the flop comes and you only bet 1/3 of the pot if I was the opp. I would put you on an A high. If I had the Q I would fire back and see where you stood. If it was me I would have bet the pot on the flop $8, if anyone calls he has got a Q, or a set (but unlikly). I really think your opp. played rather poorly. I would have at least bet $5 on the turn and would have at least raised back the $10.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:35 PM

first of all, dogballs, crazy name....
anyways I think Barry is crying over spilt milk, he lost with the third best hand, and that always sucks.
However, I think your opponent played really well, that was a good flop for him, especially since barry raised preflop. The opponent basically let barry do all the betting for him. I think he slow played you really well.
I think you lose the hand no matter what, checking on the flop would have still made you lose but lose less, but checking there atleast makes your opponent do something that you could get a read on. By the way Barry, this is all really easy for us to dissect because we know the outcome, if I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing.