Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Not so interesting but I\'m spooked

20-40 game. The only difficult opponent is a woman sitting to my immediate left who seems to be getting her jollies sitting out every hand unless I'm in it. Then she just raises every time I bet and checks every time I check. I'm 1-4 with her so far. The rest of the field just fold a lot. I'm beginning to think I should do the same.

I open-raise with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from the cutoff. My new friend reraises. I smiled at her and said "Cut that out." Both blinds call. I call.

The flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me I bet, she raises, both blinds call, I reraise, she caps, one blind folds.

The turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving me a straight and a nice four flush. She and I put in three bets each. She blinked first, a minor victory in itself. The second blind is long gone.

The river is a K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, she raises...

...so do I keep going or just call? Me, I just called. I must admit to being spooked by this pretty lady. What do you do here?

Some background, she cracked my pocket AA earlier with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] jamming it all the way until I slowed down on the three flush river. In fact there were two other hands like that though in yet another hand I managed to suck out a King on the turn to make a set against her flopped set of sixes.

I'll post the results later. What bothers me here is whether I made a solid decision or whether I let a bit of short term history interfere.

Billy
Old 01-05-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Not so interesting but I\'m spooked

You've got the second nut flush, but given the history of this one I'd consider just calling rather than reraising, she may have chased you down with Axs. However, if you decided to throw caution to the wind and pop it again, I wouldn't be that upset. The decision is close.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:10 AM

She overplayed her aces, but from the tone of your post you lost, thus had the ace of diamonds.

Tough break. I'd bet/raise the river here once but just call a reraise.

-Scott
Old 01-05-2004, 04:00 PM

Looks a pretty easy three bet considering her action on the flop and the turn. Pretty tough for her to cap you on the flop with Ax of dimonds. I could see A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] making sense, but considering you hold the 9 of diamonds I wouldnt be as worried.

I think you also need to think about what she is putting you on when you bet the river. Considering you three bet the flop, and showed a lot of strength on the turn, I really doubt she feels the third diamond changed much so I think she probably feels she can safely value raise the river. I think she has J9, or maybe she got crazy with Kings.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:25 PM

I'd 3-bet every single time here. The only hand you should really be losing to is Ad8d. If she would play AdKd like this on the flop and turn, well, that's all the more reason to 3-bet her here.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She overplayed her aces, but from the tone of your post you lost, thus had the ace of diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't be enough diamonds.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:39 PM

What A-A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? That could be possible. But having said that, I'm three-betting the river also.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.so do I keep going or just call? Me, I just called. I must admit to being spooked by this pretty lady. What do you do here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you were spooked. I'm with Ullyses here. Axs is the only hand that can beat you. She very well may have turned that hand over but I think that would be results oriented. Make KONG proud and play agressively in big pots.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only difficult opponent is a woman sitting to my immediate left who seems to be getting her jollies sitting out every hand unless I'm in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the sounds of things, it appears this woman is attempting to isolate you by reraising believing you are raising light, which Q9 diamonds is. She thinks you are a "maniac" and wants to play you heads up with any decent hand. Question: does she reraise against you often preflop?

Yes, you are letting past results scare you. Play each hand separately. Second nut flush is worth one good reraise as she could be raising on a myriad of things (2 pair, straight, set), not just the nut flush itself. Also, as hard as it sounds from a single guy, don't let a pretty woman take profit away from you by making you play passively...that is unless you intend her to be your wife =).

Garland
Old 01-06-2004, 02:32 AM

so you cap it on the flop with an incredibly mediocre draw, make the second nuts on the river and dont 3 bet? Obviously this is a bungled hand, except pre-flop and the turn. But you know you at least made a mistake on the river, weather you won or not. Learn from it...