Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2004, 10:12 PM

Default Party Poker $10/$20 6 max hand

Standard party poker 10/20 6 max. I'm utg and put in a raise with Ad9d. This is slightly below my normal utg raising standards for a game like this but I was just feeling a little frisky let's say.

Alright so I'm called cold in 3 places and the big blind calls as well.

Flop comes Ac 7d 2s.

Big blind checks, I check as well, probably with the intention of check-raising, but with all of those cold callers I may actually be in trouble here. Checks around.

Turn 8s. Big blind now bets out. I raise. Next player cold calls, the remaining two fold and the big blind who bet out now folds as well.

River 3h. I check, the remaining player bets, I call.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:22 PM

Default results

My hand was good. Looking back my flop check may have been a bad overall move, but I just wanted to get a chance to react to the remaining players and possibly stir the pot.

The turn raise is fairly straightforward but when I am cold called by the next player I start to wonder. I decided the cold caller probably had either a stronger ace or picked up a spade draw on the turn.

So when the river came a brick I decided my best move was to check-call. As it turned out he had Ks9s for a turned spade draw.

I have found these shorthanded 5/10 and 10/20 games on party poker to be extremely profitable. I will put in a lot of raises preflop in the later positions so I generally build up a "maniac" image in the other players eyes. So when this happens you can then procede to as clarkmeister once put it "value bet them into the poor house."

I have noticed Ulysses plays some similar games on party but seems to have a tighter approach. I'd like to hear what people think the best overall approach is to a game like this. I usually try to adjust to the table, but actually if everyone is playing the tight aggressive game I'll try to make a quick switch.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Party Poker $10/$20 6 max hand

Bet the flop. Don't give three guys a free card here. After checking the flop, I think the turn raise was standard and the river check-call was good.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
I decided the cold caller probably had either a stronger ace or picked up a spade draw on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll rarely see a stronger Ace here when the flop gets checked around. I think the three most likely hands you'll see are 78, a spade draw, or some raggy Ace. Since the Ace will bet much of the time anyway when you check, checking the river is good here.

[ QUOTE ]
so I generally build up a "maniac" image in the other players eyes. So when this happens you can then procede to as clarkmeister once put it "value bet them into the poor house."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not shy about giving action by any means, but I find that there's little reason to do anything special to build up an image to get more action. When I 3-bet pre-flop with Aces and flop a set, I often still get called down by pocket 5s who figure I must have KQ.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed Ulysses plays some similar games on party but seems to have a tighter approach. I'd like to hear what people think the best overall approach is to a game like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

my meagre pokertracker stats say you see 6% less flops than ulysses...

assuming its 6 handed, i think you could play say 38% of the flops in some of these games and if you have the appropriate post flop style that would be optimal - if your seeing less than 18% you will probably win because the games are loose but your not troubling the good players too much

stripsqueez - chickenhawk