Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Hit me? That flop clubbed me like a baby seal.

A little while ago I was run over by a flop going about Mach 3. I want to know if you think I could have gotten the last $5 out of one of my opponents.

This is a PartyPoker pot limit $25 game.

I'm dealt black tens under the gun. I makee the maximum raise and get called in two places. I figure that's not so bad because I probably have the best hand and I can always hit a ten on the flop, right? Wrong. I did NOT hit a ten on the flop. I hit TWO tens on the flop. I almost fell out of my chair. It's just another TT hand and the idea of flopping quads never even occured to me. Understandably, I checked. [Anyone have a problem with this? I think it's the right move when you have the deck crippled like I did this hand.] The woman to my left makes a healthy bet and the straggler calls it. Fantastic. The board is Td Th 3h. The turn is the 4d, not that I care. Well, maybe I care a little. Perhaps I just locked in a backdoor flush draw. I check, the player to my left makes another healthy bet ($6) and the tagalong calls it. I now raise to $12 [Does this sound right? It seemed perfect to me because with $6 in, already, I figured at least one of them would call $6 more.] and they both call (amazing in and of itself). Now the person to my left is all in and the tagalong has $5 left. I go ahead and pot it on the river (2s). My thinking is that any reasonable bet I make is going to put this guy all in and I don't want to look suspicious by betting $3 into this pot after raising to $12 on the turn. He thinks a few seconds and folds. Maybe he just missed his flush and would have folded, anyway, I don't know. My usual play is to bet the pot when I think I'm ahead unless I have some specific reason not to which means I occasionally get caught doing it with AKo and no pair. I figured my best move was to play as I normally would and just hope to get the call.

This is definitely the hand hand of the year (Hah! My first bad New Years joke of the year) for me. I like the way I played it and I am thrilled that I had someone doing my betting for me. It all worked out rather well but I wonder if I left another $5 on the table. Maybe that sounds greedy when the Poker Gods were obviously favoring me beyond reason in this hand but my aim is to maximize all my wins and $5 is $5.

SpaceAce
Old 01-01-2004, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Hit me? That flop clubbed me like a baby seal.

hey space, what is wrong with you. you can't get blood out of a turnip. you got all you could get. you played it correctly, and the fish did not bite.why didn't you cjeck at the end, and then he might try to bluff you. other than that you could do no more.ljh
Old 01-01-2004, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey space, what is wrong with you. you can't get blood out of a turnip. you got all you could get. you played it correctly, and the fish did not bite.why didn't you cjeck at the end, and then he might try to bluff you. other than that you could do no more.ljh

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. I think I scared him pretty bad on the turn. I don't believe there was any chance he would have bluffed at it. I am not disappointed in the pot I raked in, I just wondered if there would have been a better way to try and get the last $5 out of my opponent.

SpaceAce
Old 01-02-2004, 04:57 AM

It happened again. I flopped quad Aces at another pot limit table. I didn't get paid off quite as well the second time but I'm not complaining. I think I'll go pick up some lottery ticket, now.

Wait, there is no lottery in Nevada, is there? Hm...

SpaceAce