Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 02:49 PM

Default $100 Tourney Question from Paradise

This is a hand I played in a $100 multi-table tourney from the other night. Tourney started with 137 players and we started with 1500 in chips. This is the Second hand of the tourney so everyone still pretty much has 1500. Blinds 10-20. Pre-flop:

2 Callers I'm on the button with 22. I limp. Small blind raises to 60 and everyone calls to me. I call.

Flop:

10h9d2h

Woo hoo! Flopped set and four people in. The small blind bets 100 and all call to me, I raise to 450 and they all call! As my vocal cord explodes screeming for no heart, the dealer (damn internet dealers can't hear a God Damn word) produces the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I have about 960 left and there's over 2000 in the pot. The small blind checks.

Middle guy bets about 260. I call sounding out "pot odds" with my now defunct larinyx. The small blind raises, MP goes all in and I'm sitting here KNOWING with absolute certainty that both of these guys have me beat. But look at all that money. What's a man to do? No, seriously, what's a man to do?

All responses are welcome. And happy new year to all. Results to follow.

Peace

Goodie
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: $100 Tourney Question from Paradise

Yikes -

Tough one. Smallest set on the board plus a made flush or draw....hmmm pretty early in the tourney....BIG POT... I would've went all in and prayed for the full. Probably only to be beaten...and then the head banging against the wall begins... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2003, 03:42 PM

He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day. Fold it you have T700 left, that is a playable stack.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:56 PM

After calling my mommy and crying, I would have mucked. With the extra player, it's too easy to be up againt a made flush and another set or larger two pair. Either way, it's not as if you have top set and any board pair will help you. You have no implied odds, since you will be all in, and you don't have the odds to draw to the board pair. It sucks, but as the other poster said. T700 is a playable stack and pat yourself on the back for making to big laydown early.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:06 PM

Let's see now ... there's 250 in the pot when the flop is dealt. You flop bottom set, on a board of Th 9d 2h. Preflop raiser bets 100 and gets two callers ahead of you. It's 100 to go and there's 550 in the pot.

That's a huge drawing flop. Anyone with a heart draw, anyone with QJ, etc. And the guy who holds T9 and thinks he's hit the jackpot has outs to beat you with.

You raised how much again? 350, to make it 450 straight?

Did you WANT people to draw out on you?

What a sensible player does here is push all her chips in. You have to raise rather more than the pot to give the wrong price to the knuckleheads who want to call; and with a pot this size and stacks those sizes, a raise of the right amount is going to leave you pot-stuck. Just push your chips in. You win a nice pot if no one calls; and you're a favorite to double up against anything except a bigger set if you get called.