Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Re: What\'s Your Stars Rank?

Well I have no family but I do have a full time job.
I usually play 1 a day and sometimes more on the w/end,though I also work night shift sometimes which means I go all week without playing. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

If the comp goes well then I restrict myself to the one,but if I take an early bath I may register in another.I notice the majority of the top 20 on the stars leader board are playing 3-4 tourneys a day.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:35 AM

Interesting point, scooterdoo. I only play one tourney at a time, but some people play two or three. If you're averaging two at a time, and each takes an average of let's say 2.5 hours, then you can play ten multis a week spending only 12.5 hours. So yes that's a significant time commitment but still manageable for someone with a full-time job.

(Playing only one at a time, you could still do five multis in 12.5 hours.)

I suspect that the people at the top of the TLB play well over 10 a week, on average. But I don't really know.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 AM

10th with 15,300. Started beginning of April, Played a ton May-July, took time off until about late Oct-Nov and started full time again.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:10 AM
 is offline

832th with 3444,03 pts.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10th with 15,300. Started beginning of April, Played a ton May-July, took time off until about late Oct-Nov and started full time again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, that's great. I wonder if you could comment on some of the other questions raised in this thread. Do you play more than one tourney at a time? How many do you play a day? What limits do you play? Have you had a lot of first-place and big-money finishes, or are most of your points from "the bottom of the top 15%"?

Also, were you an experienced brick-and-mortar tournament player previously, or did you basically learn online?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:56 AM

Last time I checked 2 or 3 weeks ago I was 197th with a little over 6000 points.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 PM

Is there some reward for finishing this high?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:01 PM

2266 with approximately 1900 pts. Two firsts, two seconds. Started playing poker in Feb 2003. I was up about 21 K at one point and was playing the 30-60 on a nightly basis. Doing okay with some good nights being 1-2 K up. I then decided to play the 100-200 and lost 10K in one night. Tilted for about 3 weeks and was only up 5 K. Now my total account is around 10 K. I play almost solely $50 and $100 dollar Sit N Goes on PP and PS. One multi-table a night. I'm playing it for fun again, making a little money. I play for the most part when the kids are in bed and the wife is doing her thing or watching TV. I know I have rambled but it just for those who are intrested. It's a great game. I'm glad I found it. By the way, I'm not hard to find at PS. I go by John_Manley. I wish I would not have done that. LOL.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re: What does winner get?

nt
Old 12-29-2003, 01:42 PM

I play mostly SnG's and easily spend 10-15 hours per week on them. I guess the tournaments come down to scheduling. It's easy for me to just hop on a SnG after the kids go to bed and I've spent time with my wife, a bit harder to make a decision to play a tournament. I'm on the west-coast and at least in CA on party most of the tournaments appear to start either too early (5-8pm or too late 10pm or later). I guess I look at the tournament as taking 4-5 hours which will go late into the night, but you can't expect your time in the tournament to last this long on a regular basis, could you <G>.

Last week I tried playing one on party and it froze during the first hand was cancelled. Tonight I played and lasted for about two hours in a good chip position. Got dealt TT in the big blind and the sb completed. Decided not to raise and see what I can do. Flop gave me a set and I went all in. He had only rags, but pulled a straight and I'm gone.

Funny thing (or not so funny), a few hours later I was still playing some ring games and peaked at the tournament. There were three players left and it was really interesting to watch. After about 10 minutes of good play by all three the tournament locked. We all chatted for a while, but it was 1:30am pst, don't even know where the guys were from. The two short-stacked players (1/2 of big stack) bailed leaving the leader just waiting. It was very unfortunate. Do these things happen regularly?