Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Applied lesson wrong here

Yesterday there were discussions on 3 betting the flop. Unfortunately, I think I used this at the wrong time, and lost addtional bets than I should have. In fact this hand is why my thinking was what it was when I called a re-raise.

But, this hand it different because I did not have top kicker. dumb on my part?

I just sat down, and its my second hand. (I hate starting out like this)

I'm LMP with [ Kc, Qh ]

Folded to me and I raise. 4 more folds and the button re-raises, BB cold calls and I call.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ts, 6h, Ks ]

BB checks, I bet, Button raises, BB cold calls (again), I raise, both call

<font color="blue"> I see now that I've learned perhaps half a lesson, his preflop raise should slowed me down on this hand?</font>

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4h ]

I bets, Button raises <font color="blue"> oh ho reality hits me</font> BB calls, I call

** Dealing River ** : [ 9c ]

EVERYONE CHECKS

Button gets the chips with [ Ah Kh ]

Maybe the raise was OK, and in this instance I was just beat, or maybe I don't raise with a Q kicker.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Applied lesson wrong here

I see now that I've learned perhaps half a lesson, his preflop raise should slowed me down on this hand?

unfortunately, it depends on who raised you and what his standards are. if he will only three-bet with AA, KK, AK and QQ, fold now. if he's the type who will three bet with any pocket pair, or with a hand like AT, i think i'd call him down since he will probably keep betting a worse hand if i slow down.

against a random opponent, i think you have enough hand to call down, since most people will play JJ or QQ this way, and you sometimes see them show down something crazy at the end.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:57 PM

Tilt,
What's wrong with the three bet on the flop? You raised PF and got reraised by the button. OK, so assuming you're not playing against a complete maniac you're differential of hands he reraised must include both hands you beat on the flop such as Q's, perhaps J's ecetera, and hands that beat you ie K's, AK ecetera.

So you bet on the flop get reraised and you 3 bet. Good you're using your betting pattern as a probe to determine what your opponent may have. Looks at that point you may be ahead.

So you correctly bet out and are raised again. Now your differential of his hands changes. It is unlikely that a 4h improved a hand he 3 bet PF with, so you can confidently or perhaps I should say more comfortably fold here. And you set that up by 3 betting on the flop.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:59 PM

You did fine. Your opponent charged you a bet on the turn, that you would likely have lost on the river.

I had the same betting sequence, yesterday on the flop, I called, the turn got checked through, and then I lost two bets on the river when my opponent made a set of jacks. You can go wrong by either three betting, or not.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:04 PM

Ahh yes. I did save a bet on the on the River [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

When he checkedthe river, i did for a split second think the chips might have come my way.

I will contine to be agressive! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2003, 03:07 PM

Crockpot,

I just sat down and had no notes on the player. One thing I'm really trying to do is build up my notes on my opponents. So many players that even when I add several each day and hardly ever see them again.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:07 PM

Hey tilt,

I think this hand is much better than yesterdays just a few details here and ther. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pre flop: This is hard to tell I dont think you can be in LMP and have four more folds to the button. Any way I would have raised here as well if your in MP, in EP its close between muck and limp.

Flop: I like your play. You have hit top pair and you have a good kicker. The bet is good, now PFR is telling you he has good hand and im guessing the BB has a couple of spades. You three bet to find out how good the PFR hand is and to make the possible flush draw pay some more. When the PFR calls I think Im ok at this point.

Turn: No flush I like the bet again. You three bet the flop and now the PFR is STRONGLY telling you he has a bigger hand. You played well, the hand is now over I would have folded here. One because Im almost sure Im beat and two I am now almost convinced the BB has a spade draw.

If you check call all of the way you never have the chance to find these things out.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:41 PM

Thanks Brian,

I feel like I'm playing better, just need some more practice. I still find myslef watching hands played back and finding things that I shouldn't have done.

As far as LMP...lol....I guess your right. This was dead middle position..