Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 04:44 PM

Default QQ in $50 NL... evaluate my play.

I'm 2 off the button in a normal, super loose $50 party game with a stack of about 60. I'm dealt QQ and raise to 5. The guy to my left calls, so does the button. The SB has about 16 and pushes all in.

Now here comes a decision for me. I figure the SB has something pretty weak. A pocket pair worse than Q's, most likely. That means one of my other opponents must have AK.

I decide that I'll call the 11 dollar raise rather than push. This would keep my opponents in, I thought, and I could get away from any flop with A or K.

As expected, they both call.

Flop: 10 10 2. Harmless right?

I bet out 20. The guy to my left calls ([censored]!) and the guy to his left calls, which puts him all in. Turn: A.

I check, the guy to my left bets 6. I figure I'm done at this point and get out of it.

River: A.

The guy to my left shows A 10! The others had 99 and JJ. The guy on my left caps his horrible play by announcing "I knew you all had pocket pairs and all I needed was an A".

Should I have pushed against the reraise? I'm not even sure it would've gotten this A 10 out. I'm torn. I felt like I played it completley wrong, but I also feel like I just got screwed by a flop that beat me. GRRR lousy party players and their 16 BB preflop with A 10....

Any thoughts, comments, insults? I appreciate it.

By the way, party poker is better than Christmas (generally). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2003, 05:01 PM

Default Re: QQ in $50 NL... evaluate my play.

That means one of my other opponents must have AK.

either you haven't been playing in the same party games as me and have unnecessary respect for the opponents' calling standards, or your actual reason for flat calling here was to entice an opponent to call with a hand like AT.

an ace or king will flop over 40% of the time, and you may not get action on your queens if it is an overpair. that adds up to an all-in from me as long as i feel my queens are the best hand.

unfortunately, flat calling and folding if an ace or king flops is one of those situations where your opponents' idiocy can work against you. i've played in plenty of games where this situation will come up, i'll flat call, an ace flops and i check/fold, and the player who bet the flop laughs to himself at bluffing me out when the "sidepot" consisting only of his flop bet is shoved his way.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:29 PM

Why mess around with Queens? You don't want callers, you want a caller. I think you should have gone all-in to try and get your Queens heads-up with what you figured were the small blind's weak holdings.

SpaceAce
Old 12-21-2003, 02:38 PM

I agree. One oppenent is all you want!