Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Poki Poker Academy Software

What is Vexbot? I can find no reference to it on google. Do you have a link?

Also you have not answered my questions regarding your product. Can I take this as an answer of "no" to both of them?

Tim
Old 12-14-2003, 12:13 AM

Vexbot is an experimental heads-up player being developed by the UofA GAMES group. We expect the underlying technology to be sound enough that this may be our future world champion (in heads-up limit hold'em). This is just our conjecture at this point. We're optimistic, but there remains a lot of work yet to be done and problems yet to be solved.

Vexbot is an extreme opponent modeler, so it watches your play intensely and tries to exploit any holes that it can. When it succeeds in finding your flaws it can be a very vexing opponent (hence the name). Playing vexbot is sort of like playing against yourself in a mirror. At one point, when we were testing it, Darse remarked "Hmmmm. How can I beat myself?"

Our next poker paper will probably focus on the research behind vexbot.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:16 AM

Yep, fully endorsed by the GAMES group. The only poki code we ever made open source was the basic utility code classes for game management and hand evaluation. We have never released code for the AI.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:00 PM

Ok, a few more questions now!

Is this piece of software that is for sale Poki? (As in the same player that you write about in The Challenge Of Poker etc.) or is it a cut down version?

Is your group still working on Poki or are you all concentrating on heads up play these days?

Is Vexbot an extension of Sparbot or does it use an entirely different construction?

Can you give us any clues as to Vexbot's construction? Statistical Analysis? Neural Net? EA/GP!?

Any idea when your group will be publishing again? I read all your papers, very interesting stuff.

Thanks for any info that you can give. Always interested in what you are up to! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tim
Old 12-15-2003, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our next poker paper will probably focus on the research behind vexbot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looking forward to reading it. The paper on psopti which won the prize was fascinating.

Because of the deleted posts, I'm confused about what "poki poker academy software" is. Are you able to explain it in a way that won't get deleted?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:57 PM

Well, I don't know if posting the url will get me in trouble, so lets just say that if you type 'poki poker academy' into google, you can find out all about it.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:45 PM

Daryn, while TTH or the lesser programs out there outlive there usefulness very quickly, poki-poker should not, if it plays to Poki's level, and adapts to changes in your style quickly enough, as in UofAs later research. Poki plays better than the typical low limit Party animal, and if the "academy" version is robust enough to point out holes in your game, should be of value to anyone who wants to win more at $5-10 or lower limits.

When I get to my home PC I will be buying it and will post a review.

I am no way affiliated with AD, or UofA.