Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: I guess I should\'ve folded my AA

Hi richie,

Thanks for the kind words.

Craig may have said what he thought I meant better than I did, although I'm not sure if I meant what he thought I meant ... or something else.

What I did mean, though, is that I don't want to just finish 50th. (Nor do I think folding AA here is the right recipe even for that.) I want to make the final table, then take 1st place and a big payday. With that in mind, there is absolutely no way I muck AA pre-flop, as I've just been given what is -- far more often than not -- a ticket to leap into serious contention.

You've read my posts so you're familiar with my preference for "small bet" tournament poker, but KK and especially AA are exceptions to that rule. They comprise less than 1% of the possible deals, so it's not as if you're likely to be too often exposed on AA and KK. If I can get an opponent all-in pre-flop when I have AA or KK, I'm going to do it.

You did, and you got outdrawn. Okay. Outdraws happen. But you got an ideal situation and the cards just went the other way. Oh well.

Cris
Old 12-15-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Re: I guess I should\'ve folded my AA

My point was only that if you fold AA preflop at any time (even on the bubble) during a standard tournament, you are costing yourself a lot of money. You will get fewer just out of the money finishes, but you will also get fewer big money payoffs and probably be an overall loser.

Craig