Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Did I wuss out on the river?

1/2 HE at PP, loose/passive

I'm dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB

EP calls, MP calls, LP calls, I call, BB checks. 5 to the flop.

FLOP:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, BB checks, EP bets, MP + LP fold, I call, BB folds.
Heads up to the turn.

TURN:
T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check (planning to checkraise), EP bets, I raise, he re-raises, I cap...(here's where I got a little scared he might have a better flush)

RIVER:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check (with the intention of check calling - is this WAY too weak for this situation), he CHECKS [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I take it down (he held the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so he was drawing to the nut flush but missed it on the river), but more importantly should I have bet out here? I think I should. My only fear was that this player was a typical loose/passive player (rarely showed much aggression), but he did get aggressive on the turn which was slightly out of character for him, that's why I gave him a little credit for higher flush.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Did I wuss out on the river?

Hi xpac,

Capping the Turn and then checking the River is rarely the correct play. If you thought you were behind to a high Flush on the Turn, then you should have stopped when he re-raised you. However, with the board pairing on the River, I certainly wouldn't blame you for checking.

-Brian
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 AM

xpac,
I think this hand plays much easier if you bet out on your flush draw. I don't see any problem with the attemted river check call after all the aggression at the turn. I don't think you lost any bets, because he would have folded anyway. You made a couple of extra bets on the turn since he way overplayed his A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

TheRake
Old 12-15-2003, 03:17 PM

I think check call is the play here - the turn cap could easily be an overplayed set on this board with EP giving you credit only for top pair or two pair...I think even an overplayed A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Qx only calls a river bet here half of the time and the rest of the time you are beat by a rivered boat or a higher flush.