Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 09:24 PM

Default Re: PART 2:

push all in and gamble with him.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:49 AM

you know, my local pot limit game is the same blinds, 5-5, and a lot of people play with around 2k. since I am pretty inexperienced, I've been playing with a pretty short stack, usually around 500 or so.

The reason I'm bringing this up is I think your allin just gets easier and easier the shorter your stack, and harder and harder the deeper you get.

it almost seems like in this hand your stack size is about the worst it can be, since you can't potentially bust the button, but getting it all in on the flop requires a large commitment from you. starting with a $500 stack your move in is a no brainer, with a 3k stack now it's the button who has to make a decision for all his chips.

I think you played it great, just making an observation. I don't really like having a mid sized stack in a game like this, but this may be because I am not as skilled at playing a mid sized stack. thoughts/comments?

--turnipmonster
Old 12-12-2003, 01:50 AM

Default He Needs Flush Roughly 85% of the Time to Fold

If my math is correct, which is in doubt at this hour, you need an 85% certainty to fold instead of push in.

Using rough math:

He has three real possibilities:
Flush
Draw
lower Set, Bluff

(possible set with draw - but I am leaving that out)

If he has flush: your EV is -170
If he has draw: your EV is 730
If he has other: Your EV is roughly 950 (for simplicity)

For simplicity's sake and being conservative (-170*.85) + (840*.15) is about break even.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:27 PM

Thanks Zeno. All points are valid and appreciated.

As for the sting, it's gone. I have been evaluating my play of late, and this is one that I thought about because it seemed like a slam-dunk at the time, but then I had second thoughts. This guy, while aggressive, wasn't an idiot. I really thought it VERY likely that he had a small flush, which he did, when he raised me on the flop, but he could just as easily have something like AcQ. In either event, it's definately a situation where I would just assume get the money in and worry about it later.

I thought it was an interesting hand, though, win, lose, or draw.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:10 AM

Young man, we've now played countless sessions of poker together. And I think this hand illustrates why I am so much better of a poker player than you are. Up to a point, I would do things exactly the same - bet pot, get raised, push. But post-flop, I would have been sure to pair the board.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I think this hand illustrates why I am so much better of a poker player than you are. Up to a point, I would do things exactly the same - bet pot, get raised, push. But post-flop, I would have been sure to pair the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hand once posted on the mid-high limit forum....And a 23o post...(or was it 24o Ulysses?)

-Diplomat
Old 12-13-2003, 04:20 PM

Right again, as always. You are like my "poker yoda" - small, old, and wise. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Re: 5-5 NL Hand (Part 1)

IMMEDIATELY RAISE THE POT LIMIT AND KEEP RE-RAISING . LJH