Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: When Should I give up???

it is a tough spot but think about the type of player that plays in these games.i donthave any experience with online play, but from what i hear some of the players arevery loose, but you would know better than I.

by strict logic since you represented a pair of q's it makes sense that he should have K's or A's to reraise. it is unlikely that he would reraise with a hand like TJK or a three flush (but he might do so if he were the first raise).against a tough player you are more likely to be good since he might reraise with a hand like 99K.

my experience at 5-10 when i was playing that level was that i would normally be beaten in this situation by most reraisers in this situation, and when i wasnt it was obvious because of the guys play.

Pat
Old 12-13-2003, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by strict logic since you represented a pair of q's it makes sense that he should have K's or A's to reraise. it is unlikely that he would reraise with a hand like TJK or a three flush

[/ QUOTE ]

If you study SCSFAP carefully, you will realize that's not true. If you are the first one in and have a high card showing, and there is only one other card higher than your card behind you--as was the case with the Queen here--the Queen should raise with a flush draw, possibly a 10, J, Q straight draw with two of the cards suited, a pair of queens, or a small/medium pair with a queen kicker. In turn, the King should probably check a pair of Kings and reraise with a small/medium pair and a King kicker as well as a flush draw. Facing a raise and a reraise, the ten needs a flush draw with an overcard to the King and Queen, namely an Ace, or a pair of Aces, and should fold a pair of tens unless he has an Ace kicker.

So, if you know all of that, and you should, and you don't know anything about your opponents' abilities, I think you should assume they are good players to start off. As you can see, what the King and the Queen might have is not in anyway restricted to high pairs. To say the Queen represented a pair of Queens and therefore for the King to raise, the King needs a pair of Kings, is an overly simplistic view of the game, and I believe it will cost you money in the long run.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:39 AM

no that is not correct. at a high ante game that would be teh right play but at 5-10 you will most likely not win with a live pair so you do not raise with just high cards in early position because you wont often get it heads up. this hand is a good example. if you raise often at 5-10 with hands like TJQ you can expect to lose.

i also would not assume that they are good players to begin with. most 5-10 players that i have played against were bad not good and the ones that were good stood out.

one more thing, i am not sure what you mean when you say the pair of kings should check in turn.

pat
Old 12-13-2003, 02:32 PM

Fold 3rd, or 4th without improvement.

-Diplomat