Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 12:38 AM

Default TT 10+ SnG Truepoker

I have TT in the CO. I have T740. There are 4 Limpers to me. One in EP who won't fold to the raise for sure because he's terrible, but he has T1540. One in MP who has T590, one in LP who has about T540. The blinds are tight and will fold to the raise. The blinds are 15/30 at this point.

I raise to 120. Button folds, Both blinds fold, guy who won't fold.... doesn't. Now MP Moves all in, LP folds. I'm not sure what range of hands I put the EP on as I don't have a very solid read, but I'm certain that if I push the rest in that the EP big stack will call. I thought this was a pretty easy fold, but I'm actually more concerned about the size of my preflop raise. Anyway, I'm just trying to keep myself in check. Let me know.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 AM

Default Re: TT 10+ SnG Truepoker

I tend not to like to commit that far to TT pre-flop unless I'm on the edge of desperation stack-wise, in which case I would prefer all-in. 4xBB is too much for my taste. Get a flop (or not) on 2-3x max and play the overpair or set, or get out. That's just me.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:25 PM

With 4 limpers, a pot sized raise would have been to 225 which is about 1/3 of your stack and would put you in a very bad chip position if you get called and an even worse spot when someone puts you all in. I think your best option is to flat call and play your tens for a set.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 PM

The reason 3 or 4 times the BB is recommended as a raise is that it is roughly a pot size raise (after your call of the BB). It’s just a handy rule of thumb.
When you get limpers, you discard that rule, and just figure out what a pot size raise would be. In this instance it is would be a raise to 225.
However with all these early position limpers, I would just call and hope to flop a set.
Ignatius has pointed out the reasons why a call is best.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:58 PM

Hi ThingDo,

In general, your pre-flop raise was fine, except that you knew there was a player at the table who wasn't going to fold no matter what. In that instance, you would have been better off simply limping with a medium pair. You can call a standard pre-flop raise with it (which is probably what the all-in would have become) and take a flop, hoping to hit your set. If you miss it, you can get out relatively cheaply. By raising in this situation -- with a guaranteed caller at the table -- you simply forced the other bettor to move all-in with his hand ... and that's a bet you could not call on TT.

Sorry,

Cris
Old 12-09-2003, 01:38 PM

I have to disagree about the pre-flop raise to 120 being ok. This will give a pot of 285. Therefore the limpers will need to call another 90. This gives them better than 3/1 odds, which increases with each caller. So I don’t think your raise is going to kill off the limpers. All you have done is invested 1/6 of your stack in the hope of flopping a set. I don’t think this is a very good move.
Of course, if you are reraised then that is even worse.
I think you should be more than happy to call the BB in a multi-way pot with TT after EP limpers.
Just my opinion - I'm open to criticism.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:30 PM

I agree that my open raise was bad and I knew it at the time. I just needed someone to tell me. Weird how that is sometimes.. anyway thanks for keeping me in check guys. Thanks again :0
Old 12-10-2003, 04:58 AM

I think the preflop raise is too small. Very little chance all players fold after there are a few limpers and a 4x BB raise. Id make it at least 200 if i raised at all. Limping is also fine.