Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 12:13 AM

Default Re: 6-max tables

You are overvaluing this hand slightly IMO.

Also, Turbo Texas Hold'em was great when I was first learning the game, it helped me out a lot, but it is simply of no use whatsoever when you reach a certain level of play. Each game is different and you simply cannot correctly simulate game conditions using TTHE.

The game conditions that I am most familiar with are the ones at Party poker's 6 max tables and in those games it is generally not wise to play an ATo for a raise. There are many exceptions, but as a general rule, it's a muck. Also, UTG, I believe the correct play to be a muck in most of these games.

Exceptions to playing it for a raise being a steal raise or a maniac. Both of which would be a three betting opportunity in my book.

soda
Old 12-08-2003, 03:28 AM

Good point about Turbo Texas Holdem. I agree with it completely. TTH was good for me up to a point.

As for playing ATos, it is a good hand to use for deception in a short-handed game. Overall, this hand is not going anywhere very fast.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:23 AM

"the fact that you won the hand is, of-course, irrelevant"

i love the irrelevant hands

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 12-08-2003, 01:58 PM

AT UTG in 6 handed, IMO should be raised if you play it. I probably raise about half, fold about half, depending on opponents. In a 6 handed game, I think AT is marginal UTG. In UTG + 1 6 handed, or UTG 5 handed, I will raise close to 100%.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:05 AM

Results are of course irrelevant as we all know. But in a $30+3 single table SnG at Stars yesterday a wonderful argument ensued...

Player A went all-in on the very first hand. Player B called. Player A showed K9s and Player B showed JJ.

Player A made two pair Ks and 9s and player B was history. Several other players started to criticize player A for making a stupid play. They said K9s should be folded from early position.

Player A's argument was that if he'd folded the hand he would have lost the pot, instead he went all-in and doubled through. So he reckoned his play was correct. And who can argue with that?

Of course the table started to tilt causing all the chips to roll to one end. All-in bets became the order of the day.

When I busted out in 3rd place, player A was chip leader. So maybe that first hand was irrelevant after all.