Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2003, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Quick question

Don't let the loose players here convince you to play AX, calling or raising. Muck it. The hand has a negative EV. Check it out here.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the info. That will help me out a lot in my shorthanded play.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:05 PM

It looks to me this is a statistical phenomenon. Overall, ATo appears to be a push.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:06 PM

keep in mind that the stats that are listed there are only guidelines. In many cases, they are nowhere near accurate. What hands you play depends a lot on the texture of the game. For instance, if you are in a loose passive 6-max game on the button and 2 players have already limped in, small pairs are easily +EV (assuming the small blind is likely to call).
The abberations observed on the list come from the fact that the sample size isn't big enough. Even on a million hand run, you can expect deviations like this. I believe they used 500,000 for this list.
Also, they didnt use 500,000 hands from a "pro" player (for obvious reasons of practicality). They used hands played by the average player on their site. The average player being a loose-passive "moron". So, if the program saw that joe-blow called preflop on the button with 33, whether it be a raised pot or a called pot, no matter how many were in before him, it considered that in its statistics.
I guess my whole point here is that just because a hand is listed here as -EV, doesnt mean that it really is. A6 on the button is another good one. It is showed as being -EV. However, if you only played it for a raise as the first one in, this is a good hand that will make you money, especially if the blinds are too tight or they will call you down all the way if you hit your hand on the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2003, 12:52 AM

On poker tracker, ATo is my biggest losing hand. I only have had it about 55 times, but, I have lost MUCH more with this hand than with any other. Of course, this isnt a big enough sample, but, I usually raise with this hand, and when I hit the flop, generally get called to the river to be shown A-better kicker, or an overcard rivers...
Axo, I just don't play it unless it is folded to me on the button, or if I am in the SB.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:51 PM

From the way I am reading it, it looks like ATo is negative EV from the cuttoff but positive from UTG. How is this possible?

AT 0.00 -0.01 0.11 0.19 -0.03 0.23