Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Raising in shorthanded

I think it is important to mix it up and play the same hands differently. Keep'em guessing. It seems like the more I play, the more I use position and game theory to mix up my game. I love to punish an indiscriminate raiser with a call-raise when holding a big pair.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Sensative Schoolgirl?

OK you're right. I don't average 5k a week.

Actually I do. Whatever. I have no way to prove it. I went to the bank today and deposited 5k, just in time to get another cheque this evening for another 5k deposit tomorrow. But I have no way to prove it, so whatever.

This is ridiculous, and you're right about one thing: I don't care anymore. I'm done with this thread, and will turn my attention towards more productive discussions. I just thought it was kind of cheap to anonymously take shots at people's play here, that's all.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really made 5K a week, you wouldn't care what some anonymous clown says about your game. Nor would you be thinking about changing it, because obviously whatever you're doing is working.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter how much you make, you can always fix holes in your game and make more.

One thing I'd like to add to this is that the players who are perceived as "too loose" in these shorthanded games are almost always better players (read: make more money) than the tighter ABC players. I'm making this distinction among the good to great players in the game, not the guys seeing 40%+ flops.

That T8s raise UTG could have been made by the best player in that game. The fact that you chose to write about that says to me that you are not the best player in that game.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

soda
Old 12-05-2003, 08:59 PM

Well put and very true. Adjusting to these nuances within the game is very difficult for me to do while playing more than 2 games. Something to work on for sure.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

soda
Old 12-05-2003, 09:03 PM

I think if we played together, the first thing I'd want you to see is me raising T8s UTG. I'm sure this "crazy" play would pay off very well over time.

soda
Old 12-05-2003, 09:56 PM

I went to the bank today and deposited 5k, just in time to get another cheque this evening for another 5k deposit tomorrow

blah blah blah

I don't care anymore. I'm done with this thread, and will turn my attention towards more productive discussions.

you're welcome.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:00 PM

it doesn't matter how much you make, you can always fix holes in your game and make more.

you're right, but if it ain't broke, dont fix it, right? If you're making 260,000 a year, you probably don't need to adjust your game one bit. And I expect that at a certain point, such as making 100BB a week at a 25/50 game, any changes to your game could potentially do much more harm than good. Wouldn't you agree??
Old 12-06-2003, 04:11 AM

Default Best Player?

The reason that I chose T8s is that it has a negative expectation for all positions in a short-handed game. Is it wise to raise with a -EV? Somehow that doesn't make sense to me. In other words, if I were to raise with T8s for all eternity, I will eventually go bust. Isn't the game of poker about the long run? 44 and A6s are basically break-even starting cards in a short-handed game. Probably the best time to play them is when you're cards are running hot. I am quite content to muck them because do not add to my take-home over the long run.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 AM

Default Nope.... see below

Old 12-06-2003, 08:41 PM

No, you can always make your game better. A player winning $5000 per week, can absolutely make changes in his or her game to take home $5500 a week playing the same amount and limits.

We are so far from perfect and this game is so incredibly complex that very few people ever put enough effort into it to truly maximize their profits.

Of course, one making $5000 per week can probably spend his or her time relaxing instead of worrying about a measly 500 bucks extra. So, the real question would be, can he or she improve his or her game to earn, say an extra 50% more or $7500. That might be worth the effort.

soda