Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 05:06 PM

Default Should I be afraid of winning?

I was just wondering with all the gray area concerning the legality of online gambling in certain areas..... If you were to win, say for instance, the million dollar thing on UB, or some other substantial prize in an online tournament, would that not create some potential unpleasantness. Ordinary, or even extraordinary, winnings are normally not hard to keep under the radar, however, something of the magnitude I just mentioned would be sure to attract the attention of some type of gubment official, especially the ultra-conservative puke running for Solicitor or Sheriff or the dweeb down at the local IRS office looking for a promotion. Not that I'm ever going to win anything like that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Just wondering.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Should I be afraid of winning?

report the income and pay the taxes. That should keep you out of trouble.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:26 PM

Yeah, you would think, but seems like I read something about some guy in one of the Dakotas maybe who actually did report his online poker winnings and there was an attempt to prosecute him for violating some sort of anti-gaming law in that particular state. I'll have to see if I can find the article and get back to you. If that is the case, that certainly changes the complexion of things a bit.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:33 PM

He was a lawyer and he was threatened and just gave in without a fight. He didn't want the exposure.

Just report it to the IRS. Do you think Chris Moneymaker is thinking he should not have played?

The fed LOL - Yea - lets waste a ton of money catching these guys so they won't pay the IRS.

CATCH-22 I'd say!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:20 AM

Yeah, but Chris Moneymaker's BIG win came in Las Vegas where it was completely legal. Yeah, I realize that no one is ever really prosecuted or if it is even possible given the current legislation. My concern however, is that given a big enough win (from both a monetary and from a publicity standpoint) on an internet site, by a resident in a state where gambling is illegal, would quite probably at the very least generate a good deal of debate, and perhaps some kind of legal maneuvering. Just something to think about.