Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 01:39 AM

Default How do you guys deal with the suckouts in trny play

Over and Over again getting sucked out in key parts of the trny when your a huge favorite how do you cope with that. It seems I always get sucked out on. The last three out of 4 multiway tnrys on stars I go all in being a huge favorite late in the trny only to get sucked out on. I mean you can't really get up and walk way. Any tips in here? Dam that crap really pisses me off.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:26 AM

Default Re: How do you guys deal with the suckouts in trny play

Hi Bluff1,

You say "nice hand" and lose and go play another tourney.

That's all you can do. And when it happens, it does happen in bunches, in the weirdest possible ways you can imagine.

Tonight I've lost with KK (which hit a K-high flush) to A3os (A-high flush). Then I had AKs and hit an A-high flush on the flop with J-8-7 ... moved in ... other player had T9 for the straight flush. When it happens ... it happens. Oh well.

Cris
Old 12-01-2003, 02:30 AM

Default Hehe

Sorry about that post everyone I was highly teed when my hand got cracked. Anyway I'm bluff and a newbie on the board don't hold my first post against me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I usually do say nh Cris just its been getting to me lately lol.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:04 AM

If it helps any (and I'm guessing that it won't), this has been happening to me for 15 months fairly regularly, from B&M small-large tourneys to WPT satellites to online tourneys at PokerStars and Party. I try to keep my chin up and know that it's gotta eventually start performing according to the numbers (i've taught college statistics, dammit), but some nights, I really want to punch a wall!

I actually have started playing 80% cash games and 20% tourneys for exactly this reason, even though I think I'm better suited for tourneys and used to play the reverse (80% tourneys). In profitable cash games, when an idiot makes a play and busts your 4.5-to-1 favorite, you can simply wait for him to inevitably hand his chips back (hopefully to you). In a tourney, if it's at that pivotal hand, you may be busted or severely crippled, with little recourse.

I know that there will be other tourneys, and if you keep getting your money in as the favorite, you'll be in good shape. However, for those of us playing occasionally, it can be really frustrating - how often will I be on the bubble of a WPT supersatellite with KK vs 55 and all my chips in the middle?

Not sure where this is going, but it sure is cathartic...

I guess that my point is that it seems to me that good cash games are far less frustrating than the hit-and-miss nature of tourneys, even with the horrifically bad players that populate at least California B&M, PartyPoker and even PokerStars tourneys...

Cheers...

DoctorJ
Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 AM

this is why the more chips youstart with the more it favors the better players. Becuase you DO NOT GO ALL IN. Not to say that you fold if you are put all-in. But MANY of the best players don't go all-in unless they have the nuts on the river. The more times you are playing for all your chips you are going to lose eventually. However if it is unavoidable then it is. I was on a horrible streak where i could never win, but then everything worked out and i won 4 satellites and cashed in 5 straight multi table tournies, then this weekend i got 4-outed and 2-outed and runner flushed... all on the bubble. When it works out you win when it don't ... you don't.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:38 AM

And if you're Cris Brown on Stars, you called my all-in re-raise with AQo to my AKs and hit your Q on the flop. Hehe.

Sometimes the victim. Sometimes the victor.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:37 AM

The more it happens, the less it bothers you.

So, go out and suffer as much as possible, until you become desensitized to the pain.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 12-01-2003, 01:38 PM

That was the first time in the entire game I'd seen two cards higher than 9. There was no way I wasn't going all-in on it.

In my last tourney last night, I finished 5th ... having caught exactly ONE pocket pair in the entire tourney (110 hands). I never had AK, had AQ only once, no AK, no KQ, no AJ, no JT, the highest suited connector I saw was 45. The one pocket pair (KK) came in the big blind and everyone else folded. I finally went out on ATs vs. K4os and, of course, two Ks fell on the flop. *shrugs*

When the poker gods don't want you to win, all the skill in the world -- and I don't have that much by any means -- is not going to make any difference at all.

Cris
Old 12-01-2003, 01:53 PM

No problem. Guess my point was that we all end up on both ends of sucks outs (like my KJs resteal against ATo). Anyhow, GG. Sorry to hear you finished on the bubble.

I liked FossilMan's response. Just got to go through it about 1,000,000 more times.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:48 PM

Hi PlayerA,

Oddly, the bubble finish didn't disappoint me too badly. It was a $109 SNG and with absolute trash, I played my way to one step off the money and was ahead with the all-in on the last hand. I felt like I got maximum possible mileage out of the garbage the dealer was giving me, so I couldn't really be too disappointed. *shrugs*

Weird, huh?

Cris