Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: quick question from a 6-max noob. . .

Hi Briddle-

This is a better question if you include an example hand. Against typical opponents (meaning basic 40/10s where I don't have too many hands on them and no notes) I bet UI overs every time in position against two opponents or fewer on the flop and usually continuation bet the turn. I make an exception if it's something truly frightening like 987 monotone, though.

Ask yourself: What are you doing when you 3-bet the flop with your big UI overs like AQo? Are you trying to force your opponent to fold out a low or middle pair or pocket, or are you trying to get rid of hands you already beat, like KJo? Make sure you have a reason, instead of "the more money I put in the pot, the better chance I have of winning."

Basically, I don't have a problem with autobetting, but you're leaving money on the table if you don't quickly determine who overplays ace high hands, who's a good enough (or bad enough) player to fold bottom pair, etc. You might try setting up a few stats on PokerAce HUD to help you as well ... I find the fold to continuation bet stat and the WTSD state particularly useful in deciding when to CB after a missed flop.