Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2003, 12:57 AM

Default What\'s your #1 advice for limit SNGs

I've decided to switch from playing 50/1 HE to playing 5+1 and 10+1 Limit Hold'em SNGs. So far I have been doing well having won the majority of those that I played.

So I am asking people much smarter than I ( That means you !! ) for your best advice.

My basic strategy is to play very tight and cheap in the early rounds And essentailly waiting for it to get down to 5/6 people at which point I open up and start getting agressive. These seems to work.

I make it a point to avoid trouble flops untill the last third of the tourney.

Once it gets heads up, I pound pound pound, which generally gets the cash.

Things I've noticed

# People play very loose in the early part of the SNG when the blinds are low. Is it good idea to try and build a stack?

# Lots of people can't play short handed or heads up. Any advice on this?

# Trying to keep things cheap as possible before the flop seems to be a good idea, since then if the flop doesn't fit, you didn't waste much money on preflop speculation.

# How should you play when there has been

# A raise open,
# A Limp and a raise
# A raise open and 1 cold caller.

# How to improve my post flop play, so I can play more hands.

So I looked in the 2+2 archives and have seen very few articles about limit SNGs. I think the players in these SNG's are softer than in NL, and limit is just easier.

I own HEFAP and Super System, are there other books I should get?

Bygmesterf [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: What\'s your #1 advice for limit SNGs

# People play very loose in the early part of the SNG when the blinds are low. Is it good idea to try and build a stack?

If the game plays loose passive preflop, play suited aces in early position. Play pocket pairs from early position.
Pick up Sklanskys tournament book and you will learn the gap concept.

# Lots of people can't play short handed or heads up. Any advice on this?

I offer this advice, learn how to play shorthanded. Experience will often serve as your best teacher.

# Trying to keep things cheap as possible before the flop seems to be a good idea, since then if the flop doesn't fit, you didn't waste much money on preflop speculation.

I need a clarification on this. If a raise will win the entire pot then calling does not seem as cheap as it first appears.

The rest of your questions I will leave for other posters.