Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2003, 01:09 PM

Default $50 party Big Slick turn decision

Just sat down at the table, no read on anyone.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP.

Folded to EP who has $50, same as me. He raises to $5. I cold call. Everyone else folds.

The flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP opens for $10. I raise to $20. He calls.

The turn is (7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP checks. I go all-in for $23.50. EP calls.

How did I play this hand? Results to follow.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Re: $50 party Big Slick turn decision

Obviously, you do not have a read of the player to guide your play. I would say in this spot that I would put the other player all in on the flop. This flop has presented a number of draws in the sense that there are two diamonds. I would want the other player to have to pay to hit a flush. Likewise I would hope that the other player is capable of calling a big raise with AQ or even a pair of Queens with another kicker. Either way especially in a situation where I do not have a read I want to put the other player to a decision here. In this sense I can win the pot right now if the other player folds. If I get plaid with here I still have top pair and top kicker and can improve on the turn or the river. When he opened for $10.00 I would have set the player all in and put him to the test with Big Slick. You basically hit your flop in the sense that you have top pair and top kicker. Hard to see you folding in this spot would much rather raise then call and give the player value to draw on the turn.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:52 PM

You played in a very reasonable manner. I wouldn't be at all stupried if I was beat or tied. But a lot of players in that game at party will call with a weaker hand.

AeonBlues
Old 11-28-2003, 08:05 PM

You either have to move in on the flop or bet at least half of your remaining stack with the intention to move the rest in on turn. This flop is highly coordinated and you must not give any implied odds to draws.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:34 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. I don't think betting any amount will get this player to fold after watching a while(my favorite kind of player..calls any bet with any draw). He had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and rivered his flush. I got him to put his money in the middle when he was a big dog and I'm happy about that.