Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2003, 08:45 AM

Default PLO - Quads in first position

I am definitely doing poorly in this kind of hand. I really don't know how to play it.

$25 PLO on Party. A couple of loosies, but not particularly crazy. I complete after 4 or 5 limpers from the small blind with something like 8764. Flop is K77. I'm not sure of my hand with so many opponents so i check to see what happens; it's checked round. Turn is the case 7. What do I do? I just don't know.

Here's how I played it - I checked, it was checked round to the button who bet the pot of $3 or so. I called, and to my surprise got a caller in MP as well. River was a 4. I bet 10 dollars. What am I, some sort of idiot? They fold. What would be better? One thing I though would have made me a bit more cash was a min check-raise on the turn. I think at least one calls it, and then might go on to call a small-ish bet on the river because of the escalalted pot size. I'm sure betting out on the turn would fold everybody. What do people think?

Old 11-27-2003, 10:14 PM

Default Re: PLO - Quads in first position

I don't think there is much money to be made in this hand and $9 (i.e. 18 big blinds) are actually a very good win with this board if nobody happend to have flopped top set. After the case 7 turned, the only money you can make on this hand is from bluffs and ppl. overplaying their pocket pairs. For them to do either, they have to read you as weak. Therefor, I like your check-call on turn, but I don't like your river bet. Since the 4 cannot possibly have changed the value of anyones' hands, you have to stick with your slowplay and hope that the button will fire another barell. A bet in this spot would send the exactly the same message than a check-raise on turn.
Another game plan would have been to bet the turn and hope that someone will put you on a bluff and call you down with a pair, but this would work best in a heads up situation with position. Form the SB in a multiway pot, I'd prefer the slowplay.