Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself

Sounds like a huge pain in the ass. I find the real size of a shoe differs greatly from its stated size from maker to maker. I've got size 12 feet and have fit in anything from size 11 1/2 to size 13 1/2. I might well be mailing shoes back and forth for weeks or months.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:17 PM

so I used to hate doing this shopping stuff. for the last year or so whenever my girlfriend is going to the mall she'll ask if I need anything and I'll place an order for a couple long sleeve button shirts or a sweater or a few t-shirts or whatever. then I reimburse upon delivery.

I buy my own jeans, unfortunately you have to try that [censored] on. however this allows me to limit my shopping to like once a year or less.

this is a good system, right?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 PM

If you have the right body type, could be.

I rarely buy stuff either, just usually right after Christmas so I get it cheap. Or if I see a store is going out of business and has a real going out of business sale, not a fake one where everything's still the same price. But at the real crash and burns you can get stuff super cheap.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the right body type, could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this directed at my post? if so I don't really get how body type matters? unless you mean a lot of people need to try on shirts? I basically never wear any shirt/sweater that isn't exactly XL, it seems like that size is just all encompassing
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM

TT, can you give some brand names of the shoes you are describing? I'm not to familiar with expensive shoes.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT, can you give some brand names of the shoes you are describing? I'm not to familiar with expensive shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the most basic would be Ballys, easy to find and their leather quality is the best. Other than the big designer names there are a ton of little known Italian brands that you can probably find at your local mall - Saks, Neimans, Bloomingdales, and even MACYs all have at least a small collection of good Italian shoes for men (95% of the other stuff is junk of course).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Well, I just find manufacturers differ a lot and sizes are only a rough guide at best.

If you have a regularly proportioned body, you probably have a wide safety margin. But if you are especially wide or narrow or tall or short, or long-waisted or short-waisted, you've got to really be there in person or the differences between manufacturers sizes can make a big difference to you.

Me, for instance, my arms are long. If I just go for a simple size like large or extra large(I can often wear either, too), sometimes the sleeves are too short and sometimes they're not. If I buy a dress shirt, where the sleeve length is measured, it can help me zero in on the size, but still there will be variability.

Maybe some guys aren't sure if their bodies have the average proportions, but I know my arms are just a bit long, and it's enough to make me extra careful when buying stuff.