Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Overpair hands...standard plays?

1) I wouldnt call this standard... but its not bad. I assume you were going for a turn checkraise?

2) might push the river, but I think this one is fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you were going for a turn checkraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, just wanted to slow down and see what he would do in case I was way behind to AA, a set, or a straight. His pre-flop re-raise opened up the possibility he had Aces...his PFR was only 6 so I didn't see him doing that w/ a lot of hands. And the board was starting to look pretty straightish in case his pre-flop raise was a bluff. I take it you recommend a turn bet?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you were going for a turn checkraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, just wanted to slow down and see what he would do in case I was way behind to AA, a set, or a straight. His pre-flop re-raise opened up the possibility he had Aces...his PFR was only 6 so I didn't see him doing that w/ a lot of hands. And the board was starting to look pretty straightish in case his pre-flop raise was a bluff. I take it you recommend a turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think that a set or straight are even remotely in villain's hand range unless he is incredibly aggro. I really have no problem playing a huge pot against what is very like QQ or JJ and based on the river action, I'm very confident was JJ.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:00 AM

I bet the turn in the first one. What's the point of a check on that turn if you're just gonna get it all in on that river?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn in the first one. What's the point of a check on that turn if you're just gonna get it all in on that river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I just wanted to see what he would do. He was an aggressive player, so the flop call made me suspicious. That combined w/ the PF re-raise really made me think he was trying to squeeze more money out of me w/ his Aces. If he makes a big bet there I might fold. His check seemed to indicate weakness (AK maybe?), leading me to bet the river, but of course, he had 6-6 for the flopped set.

Not saying it was the right play necessarily, as in hindsight I couldn't be behind to any reasonably likely hand besides AA. Just letting you into my thinking.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Hand #1:

Just from the way he played the first hand, I would have put him on JJ. I would have been in "I'm calling, but I really don't like it"-land. A country which is thankfully getting smaller and smaller by the day now.

While the PF re-raise is a bit of a donk play, it disguised his hand beautifully. Realistically, I would have been stacked on this hand, although in a different manner than you were.

On reflection, while re-re-raising against a rock is a bad idea (as a PF rock's re-raising range is generally AA-KK), it's the way to go vs. a LAA. Stacking an LAA is something you do with a hidden hand, letting them push the pot size out of control. Your hand range is fairly obvious here, so you might as well just get what $ you can out of him PF.

While AA-KK are consistent money makers, they're not good for stacking opponents (unless they make their own set), since most of the time a person that's willing to push has an overpair beat.

Hand 2: You're probably beat, but you only have to be ahead 1 time out of 3, AQ & KQ are real possibilities, so I would call as well, and not feel bad about it. But when a donk like this opens after following for two streets, this is basically the equivilant of a raise, meaning TPTK or higher. Hopefully it's a blocking bet for TPTK.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think that a set or straight are even remotely in villain's hand range unless he is incredibly aggro. I really have no problem playing a huge pot against what is very like QQ or JJ and based on the river action, I'm very confident was JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. 6-6, flopped the set.

Initially I thought the pre-flop re-raise from $2 to $6 (and the fact that he didn't donk push which you see a lot at this level) screamed AA. I thought that was his most likely hand.