Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2003, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Help me patch up my shorthanded 5/10 game: Starting Hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there some magical time at which one automatically knows exactly what starting hands to play in each position, the lack of much published on the matter notwithstanding?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I thought that was the area about which the most info had been published.

[/ QUOTE ]

For shorthanded? I didn't think so. I know the general suggestion is play it as if it's a full ring game and everyone before you has folded (so you're basically playing as though you're in MP or LP), and that medium to small suited connectors go down in value (obviously, because there's less chance of having a lot of people in the hand with you), but I'm not aware that there's much more. What have I missed?

And yeah, I suppose maybe I've just been running good, but shees, it's 300 hours of play people. Ya can't give me the benefit of the doubt? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My 95%CI is pretty solidly in the +EV zone.

Though, come to think of it, I really don't need the benefit of the doubt here. Not looking for it -- just looking for advice on the hands other people play shorthanded.

So Ulysses, you *never* play K9o or weak aces? Or maybe just on the button if everyone else has folded? Fair enough. Didn't think I was being an idiot to ask, though.

EDIT: And I was also looking for input on JTs. Seems like my results with it are probably a fluke due to small sample size, eh? Do you pro-types play it in any position, or just late, if there are already people in?
Old 11-23-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Help me patch up my shorthanded 5/10 game: Starting Hands

[ QUOTE ]
For shorthanded? I didn't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a SH chapter in HPFAP. Between that, all the full game advice that has been published, and tons of discussion here, you should find plenty of info.

[ QUOTE ]
And yeah, I suppose maybe I've just been running good, but shees, it's 300 hours of play people. Ya can't give me the benefit of the doubt?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you're a good player! Seriously, I have no opinion as to how good you are or aren't. I just said that based on your response to Joe Tall's comment - I've seen plenty of bad players at B&M run good for months and months.

[ QUOTE ]
So Ulysses, you *never* play K9o or weak aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I play depends much more on the opposition than anything else when shorthanded. I'll raise a very wide range of hands in CO or Button with the right weak opponents.

I think the key to winning shorthanded is to constantly adjust to your opponents and shift gears a lot. On Party, the key is simply to play tighter than your opponents.