Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 06:44 AM

Default Re: When pocket pairs don\'t hit on flop

[ QUOTE ]
As previous poster mentioned, if your set would compliment the board (ie. 66 and flop is 578), just go away because this is where you can really lose money trying to protect what should be a winner, but won't be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you shouldn't necessarily go away in this example. While you don't want another six, you still have eight outs on the open ended straight. As long as you're getting proper pot odds, you should go for the straight draw. A nine would probably be good (unless JT was out there), but a four would be gold. Also, since you have two of the sixes, it's unlikely that someone else has one.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:16 AM

You are forever banished to the mid-stakes forum for this level of sarcasm. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] And I don't even want to see you try to answer a post in the micro-limit forum about how unbeatable loose games are. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Don't make me have to come up there!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:24 AM

What kind of odds do you need to to make a set on the turn?

You have 2 outs!

My laziness gene is currently dominant and my work ethic gene is recessive (yes, mine change often - if you've ever seen my hair you'd understand), therefore I will only estimate.

You're about 21-1 to make a set on the turn.

Unless there's at least 21 bets in the pot, don't bother trying for a set on the turn.

Implied odds, bullplop because anyone willing to call some raises probably has you beat by the end.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:08 AM

I hate flopping quads, I prefer to flop sets and turn quads.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of odds do you need to to make a set on the turn?

You have 2 outs!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. But let say you are in a 6 way pot for 3-bets preflop. You have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop is an innocent looking 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] you should call one bet here because the odds are there for you to spike your set. If however it was 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] you probably shouldn't even if the pot odds are close because you only have one clean out.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:33 PM

There are sometimes when you know you are beat, but should take one off to try to spike your set on the turn. They are rare. The pot must be huge. Say at least 18sb by the time it gets to you. There is no straight of flush possible. You should be last to act. Your card should not make someone a flush or straight. In fact, there should not be a straight or flush draw out. You should have little reason to suspect someone may already have a bigger set. If the pot is enormous, say eight people for four bets each before the flop, you can be a little looser. As far as going for it on the river, the pot would need to be laying you about 22 to 1. That’s $440 in a 10/20 game. Hopefully, you will not be stuck in pots where it is correct to make these plays often.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:00 PM

Default You and Kong are both morons.

It's infinitely preferable to flop NOTHING, then catch a set on the turn and quads on the river. Cap the flop and the turn, of course, because you know the quads are coming.

The big bonus is that you'll be called a river-rat uberfish by the idiots too stupid to have quads themselves.